Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Judoal
Reel Rookie

Replacement for model 3500x

my samsung tv is about 10 years old.  I need to upgrade my Roku 3500x.  Neither the express or premiere models work on my tv.  Any newer models that are backward compatible with the 3500x?  Thanks

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Replacement for model 3500x

@Judoal 

The Roku HDMI Streaming Stick (model 3500) is simply an HDMI device. Any current Roku device should work. So, something else is going on that isn't stated or realized. So, we gotta do some digging.

First, why are you needing to replace the device? To be sure, I'd replace a 3500 with a newer device, but that's because I know how much better the current devices perform. If the 3500 works, why the need to change? Is there a problem with the 3500?

What is the model number of your Samsung TV? I have a TV (not a Samsung, however) that's well over 10 years old, and current Roku devices work just fine. I would expect that to be the case for any TV with HDMI input. However, if there is something screwy about that particular model Samsung TV, that could complicate things, but that would not be expected to be the case. The model number would help determine if that is in play.

Next, where did you get a Premiere to try? Is that recent? Roku discontinued the Premiere almost a year ago. Yes, some retailers still have them in stock -- they weren't the highest seller, but were good devices nonetheless -- so it's possible to find a new one still, just not from Roku. Or are you saying (without actually saying) that you've been trying replacements for some time and none have worked?

And, what do you mean by saying they don't work on your TV? In what way? What happens? Please describe the issue.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I'm using an Express 4K+ (3941) on my 14-year-old Samsung TV. 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

I have a 10 year old Samsung and my Roku Stick works just fine with it. Why are you saying a new Roku won't work with your TV? All you need is an HDMI port

https://support.roku.com/article/227917827

0 Kudos
Judoal
Reel Rookie

this was over a year ago.  I tried both those units, but the sticks did not complete the initialization due to some HDMI incompatibility.  The original stick broke and i could only replace it with the 3500x.  This stick is slow and is missing apps (HBO+, apple+). The tv is un46f6300.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Judoal  I have never heard of such a thing. Tons of users with even older TV's successfully use a Roku device using HDMI. Your TV has 4 HDMI ports to be exact. HDMI 3, HDMI ARC and HDMI STB. Which HDMI port did you previously try? Roku's are designed to work with any TV. Your TV was also released in 2013.  Here is what you do. Pick yourself up a Roku Streaming Stick 4K or 4K+ from your local Best Buy, Target or Walmart. Plug the A/C power adapter into the wall and the other end to the Roku. Plug the Roku Stick into the proper HDMI port and see what happens. If you get some sort of error let us know. If it turns out something is incompatible then you simply return it. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Was there anything like an HDMI splitter, HDMI audio extractor etc. involved in your setup?  Those things are often made by fly-by-night companies and can be picky.  On the other hand, I would expect the HDMI ports on a Samsung TV to be pretty solid.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Judoal wrote:

... the [Roku devices] did not complete the initialization due to some HDMI incompatibility....

Okay, that points to an issue with the TV. From what I'm seeing, and I may be missing something, there's nothing to indicate an limitation or other non-standard HDMI setup. There are four ports, and each should work like the other. If all four ports are non-functional, there could be an undocumented incompatibility with the HDMI implementation (unlikely, I think), or some hardware issue on a shared component (more likely, I think).

The TV can connect to your network, so you might check to see if there's a software bug that a firmware update could fix.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  There are 4 different HDMI ports to be exact. Each one is different. 

HDMI IN 1 (STB)

HDMI IN 2 (ARC)

HDMI IN 3

HDMI IN 4 (DVI)

We do not know which one they tried. HDMI 3 would be the best place to start. 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Judoal 

To follow on with @DBDukes firmware update suggestion, make sure you have the latest firmware for your TV2230.0 (2019)

If you never updated the firmware, or your TV's is out of date, it can lead to many different issues (including HDMI initialization/handshaking/EDID issues, which can cause problems when connecting other devices)

1)  OTA Upgrade:  Screen Menu > Support > Software Update

2) USB Upgrade:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/?model=N0020439&modelCode=UN46F6300AFXZA

https://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=5675553&CD...

0 Kudos