Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing charges from Sling TV

Jump to solution

We signed up for a free trial from Sling TV on the Roku app after answering an email from Roku with the offer but when we tried to cancel Sling TV we were told that we had already been charged 40 dollars. Sling TV will not refund the 40 dollars and Roku refuses to help us telling us to contact Sling TV even though I explained to them that Sling TV says that because the free trial offer came from Roku we need to contact Roku. These companies are in collusion to steal our money and it is so wrong. We are going to return the Roku TV to Walmart where we bought it and get a different television that is not connected to Roku at all !

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Disputing charges from Sling TV

Jump to solution

I also prefer to sign up directly with the streaming service on its website, rather than through a third party like Roku, Amazon, etc.

There is another large reason for this, besides the "who's responsible" one.

Subscribing through a third party gives you an account on that third party, not with that service.  There are some exceptions, but this often limits you to viewing your subscription only on that same third party.  If you instead subscribe directly with the service you can view it on any viewing platform it supports:

• The service's own dedicated app, wherever available.  Each platform has its own operating system, so the service must create and supply a separate version of its app for each platform it wishes to support (Roku, Firestick, Chromecast, etc.). 

• Web browser on computer/phone/tablet

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

NEVER sign up for a service through a 3rd party like Roku. This allows both of them to point the fingers at each other, and you get ignored. ALWAYS sign up on the services WEB SITE so you only deal with them directly.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If the charge is from Sling (not Roku) then it sounds like the OP did set up with Sling.  But possibly Sling was not making the same free trial offer that Roku was offering.  Similarly, sometimes a store has a sale/offer that only applies at that store.

On the Sling website itself, I’m seeing one page that offers half off the first month, and another page that offers a 7-day free trial.

I don’t get emails from Roku, so I have no idea what their email offered.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Donewithcrap

Thank you for the inquiry!

For these issues, it may be more effective for you to get help from our billing team.
Please contact them directly through our Account-Billing Support page. Choose the options for "Account, payments & subscriptions" and they are the best ones to help you out with that matter.

We hope it helps!

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I also prefer to sign up directly with the streaming service on its website, rather than through a third party like Roku, Amazon, etc.

There is another large reason for this, besides the "who's responsible" one.

Subscribing through a third party gives you an account on that third party, not with that service.  There are some exceptions, but this often limits you to viewing your subscription only on that same third party.  If you instead subscribe directly with the service you can view it on any viewing platform it supports:

• The service's own dedicated app, wherever available.  Each platform has its own operating system, so the service must create and supply a separate version of its app for each platform it wishes to support (Roku, Firestick, Chromecast, etc.). 

• Web browser on computer/phone/tablet

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X