Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thutmose
Reel Rookie

Connecting New Device to Older Cables

We have two Rokus, A Roku Premiere and a Roku 3.  I need to replace them but the way our AV contractor set the systems up I cannot easily (at all!!) get to the HDMI cord and Power cords.  He placed them so tightly behind the TV wall mount I cannot thread them through.  I am assuming (and hoping) I can simply purchase a newer model of the Roku and the older, existing cables will plug in.  In other words, the connections on the back of the Roku units themselves are universal at least with regards to other Roku devices.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting New Device to Older Cables

@Thutmose Roku devices use HDMI. Your existing cables are HDMI. Unless the cables are defective or damaged, they'll work.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Thutmose
Reel Rookie

Thanks.  And the power cord should be the same connection as well, correct?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Thutmose wrote:

Thanks.  And the power cord should be the same connection as well, correct?

Maybe. Maybe not. Not all Roku devices use the same power connections. I assume your Roku Premiere is model 4620, which is the Roku 4 form factor. I think it has compatible power connection to the Roku 3 (4200, 4230). However, it may not be the same as the Ultra. I don't have the current Ultra (4800), but the one I do have (4660) has a different size power connection than the Roku 3. I think the power output is the same, so an adapter may work.

Of course, you could use a Stick and run off the TV's power via USB, if it has sufficient output. I don't prefer that, but it is an option.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos