Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McW0lf55
Channel Surfer

Cannot get new stick to work on roku tv

Jump to solution

I have a Roku tv that has an internal 3400 version stick.  I purchased an Express 4k+ stick to upgrade and cannot get the new stick to work.  HELP!  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Cannot get new stick to work on roku tv

Jump to solution

The 3400 Stick was what is called an MHL device, not HDMI. The ports look identical, but are different electrically. Some TVs can accept either MHL or HDMI connections in the same port, but it sounds like yours is not one of them. Unless there's an actual HDMI port on the TV, you won't be able to connect a newer Roku player. FYI: The Express 4K+ is not considered a Stick. You must use an HDMI cable to connect it to the TV, same as all non-Stick Roku players. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
atc98092

Jump to solution

The 3400 Stick was what is called an MHL device, not HDMI. The ports look identical, but are different electrically. Some TVs can accept either MHL or HDMI connections in the same port, but it sounds like yours is not one of them. Unless there's an actual HDMI port on the TV, you won't be able to connect a newer Roku player. FYI: The Express 4K+ is not considered a Stick. You must use an HDMI cable to connect it to the TV, same as all non-Stick Roku players. 

Dan

McW0lf55
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The 3400x is built into the set...not a physical stick.  

I have used the supplied cable to TRY to get the 4k+ to work.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@McW0lf55 wrote:

The 3400x is built into the set...not a physical stick.  

I have used the supplied cable to TRY to get the 4k+ to work.  

No, it still is a physical device connected to the TV. But many of them are hidden within the TV's case, behind a panel. As mentioned, it is not an HDMI device, but is an MHL stick. It is controlled with the TV remote, not a Roku remote. 

While some MHL ports will also accept an HDMI device, most will not. A modern Roku player will not work in such an MHL port. It has to be labeled HDMI, and it has to support 720p at minimum. Many early digital TVs would only accept 575i/p and 1080i in their HDMI port, and no Roku player supports those resolutions. Your TV must accept 720p or 1080p for a Roku to work on it.

Dan

0 Kudos