Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
italiangirl
Reel Rookie

3500 purple stick with remote-won't find network

Hi,

I am trying to set up an old Roku 3500 purple stick. I have the remote. The problem is I changed my wifi setup with new modem and router when I changed services. The stick can't find the network. I tried to add the app to my phone and won't find it there either. I tried to pair the remote, that doesn't work either. No light on the remote. Is it dead in the water because there is no support for this anymore?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3500 purple stick with remote-won't find network

@italiangirl 

Roku doesn't support the 3500 anymore, but it should still work (within the limitations of the hardware and OS).

If you can remember your last SSID (network name and password), change your network SSID to those within your new router.  Since the Roku device remembers the last network, it should connect to your new router/network if you change the network name and password to reflect those.

After you successfully connect, you should then be able to use the mobile app again, as well as change the new router SSID to anything else you want and it should connect again.

Alternatively, you can try connecting the 3500 via a mobile hotspot, and then steer it over to your new network.

Just do not factory reset this device.  Legacy/unsupported devices may run into issues after a factory reset because it will try to contact Roku servers for an update and will not be able to download the newest 11.5 OS and will fail to operate.

Just an FYI, once the 3500 connects, you may run into/likely run into  issues with different channels/apps as they may fail to operate on unsupported devices.  Really depends on what kind of channels/apps you will be using with this device as to its overall functionality. 

Feel free to post an update if still having issues or need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

italiangirl
Reel Rookie

Yeah I already did a factory reset trying to get the remote to pair with it because that’s what the website said to do(but it was old advice)So I think I’m out of luck! Wish I asked here first. I did get the email in August to upgrade but I didn’t think anything of it because I still had cable and my stick was gathering dust. I FINALLY cut the cord and couldn’t be happier. 
Thanks anyways. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@italiangirl 

Ahhh. If you already factory reset it, then the above advice is also moot.  You can no longer try to connect to it to the old SSID credentials.

You are pretty much left to trying the hotspot technique or simply verifying that your settings are correct for use with Roku.  Make sure you are not using DFS channels (52-140) on the 5ghz band, and maybe set your 2.4ghz band to use b/g/n wireless mode.

You really aren't missing anything by losing the 3500 to be honest, and if you are now a cord-cutter, it is now a good time to get one of the newer Roku streaming devices listed on their website in order to get better hardware and dual-band capability.  Might as well get something that allows you the ability to access and take advantage of the different channels/apps requiring the new hardware capabilities, rather than trying to make do with a legacy device. https://www.roku.com/products/players  

Plus most of these devices are on sale for Christmas and you can also get at Walmart, Best Buy, etc. (The prices are normally the same in the store as the website.)  You can also go to your online dashboard at the website and login to your account and see if any offers for upgrades are available to you and see which route gives you a better deal on a device.

Welcome to the streaming world!  Best choice I ever made was getting rid of satellite and those overpriced monthly bills.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Check your upgrade page for a discount on replacement for the 3500 stick:

Roku | My offers

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos