Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krth101
Streaming Star

how to open apps on an iphone

Jump to solution

i can access the roku channel on my phone but cant find a way to open any of the apps. get a prompt saying "cant find a network". did i miss a step in set up?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: how to open apps on an iphone

Jump to solution

If you mean to open an app that's on the Roku device, and view its contents on the phone via the app, that is correct. Only The Roku Channel itself can be viewed in the app. Other than that, the app is solely to control the Roku device and display whatever it has on the attached TV.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
atc98092

Jump to solution

Are you referring to using the Roku app on your phone? They did just release an update in the iTunes store this week. But remember that the app is only controlling the Roku. You can't open a channel on the app and see it on the phone. 

I just tried the app to my Ultra 4800. I first connected to the device, then I hit the Channels button at the bottom of the remote window and selected YouTube. It forced my AVR to switch to the Roku input (this is done via HDMI-CEC, there's no control over that with the app) and YouTube then started. 

Remember that the device with the app (your phone) must be connected to the same home network as the Roku, and the wireless settings on your network must allow wireless devices to see devices on the home network. Some network routers/access points have a security setting that blocks wireless devices from seeing other devices on the network. If you have a "guest" wireless network, this is certainly enabled. 

Dan

0 Kudos
krth101
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

just to be clear. Only the ROKU channel is available on a mobile device , but individual apps are not?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

If you mean to open an app that's on the Roku device, and view its contents on the phone via the app, that is correct. Only The Roku Channel itself can be viewed in the app. Other than that, the app is solely to control the Roku device and display whatever it has on the attached TV.

Dan

0 Kudos
krth101
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

thank you

0 Kudos