Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

add channels on android app

I downloaded the android roku app player for my phone. I wante to see the same channels on my android that i set up on my TV but I did not find any way to do this.  Instead, it appears that i can only have access to the free or paid channels or content offered on the android app which is far from what I wanted for my android phone app.  Am I doint something wrong or is that the setup?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 21

Re: add channels on android app

I'm not familiar with the Android app, since I'm kinda forced to use a iPhone. But the app on my phone only acts as a remote for my Roku. You can't actually do anything with the app that adds/removes channels. There is a virtual keyboard you can use to simplify entering names and passwords. You can't actually watch the channels on the app itself. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

thanks.

There is an android app that does allow you to watch free, paid and live shows that are curated by Roku. I did not find any way to include the channels that i had already set up on TV. Thus, my inquiry.
Yes, there is another and separate app that allows one to control the TV remotely but there is no content within that app to watch, it is only a digital remote.
Thanks again,

0 Kudos
Level 21

@buzzbuzz wrote:

thanks.

There is an android app that does allow you to watch free, paid and live shows that are curated by Roku. I did not find any way to include the channels that i had already set up on TV. Thus, my inquiry.
Yes, there is another and separate app that allows one to control the TV remotely but there is no content within that app to watch, it is only a digital remote.
Thanks again,

OK, that's to access The Roku Channel. It can't see any other channels you have installed on your Roku devices. It only has access to TRC itself. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks..

I am new to Roku as of yesterday.  But what you just wrote kinda explains a bit to me.  It seems that the Roku Channel itself is simply a channel of movies, videos etc. similiar to Netflix, etc.  However, within its platform, you can add apps from other channels and in my situation, since I am using the premier, watch TRC and the other channels such as youtube on their platform.

The Roku device allows you access to their platform.
The android app allows one to view the content that is on their TRC but not any other channels, but the platform which I am using on the TV does.

This might be an oversimplifcation, but for now, this is the way I understand this.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Yes, you are understanding correctly. Comparing TRC to Netflix is close, but perhaps a better comparison would be to Prime Video. There is some content available for free (with ads on TRC), and some content requires a subscription (and with Prime Video there's also the ability to rent a title).

But you have the basics correct. The Roku device is a platform that others can use to provide content (Netflix, YouTube, Vudu, etc.). Roku themselves have nothing to do with those channels or providers, other than providing the platform. Roku themselves offer TRC, and they also have a media player (Roku Media Player) that works with both USB connected drives (for the few devices with USB ports) or can connect to DLNA servers on your home network. Any other content is provided by others, and those providers must also offer the support for those channels. 

Dan
0 Kudos