Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gadworx
Channel Surfer

Windows Store App — What happened?

Jump to solution

Last year I bout a Roku TV for my daughter and was thrilled that there was a Windows 10 App for controlling the Roku (like she also used on her iPhone). So I buy an Ultra later and go to get the Windows 10 App and it says "Unavailable" in the Windows Store. I think this is just a temp thing, thinking there is an update coming or something. I keep checking back and it appears it is not coming back! Argh!

Googling this, there are a lot of unhappy campers like me out there. 

I have the Android App, but I want the Windows App with my Windows Tablet that controls everything else in my media room! What is going on? Was it removed so we will buy the tabletop remote? I hope that is not the reason.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Windows Store App — What happened?

Jump to solution

Yes, it was removed. No official explanation was given. It did have a bug that I recall, but have forgotten exactly what it was. Couldn't log into your Roku account if I remember correctly. Apparently the bean counters at Roku decided their app budget was better spent on iOS and Android devices. I too believe that to be a mistake, but I'm just another user like yourself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, it was removed. No official explanation was given. It did have a bug that I recall, but have forgotten exactly what it was. Couldn't log into your Roku account if I remember correctly. Apparently the bean counters at Roku decided their app budget was better spent on iOS and Android devices. I too believe that to be a mistake, but I'm just another user like yourself. 

Dan

gadworx
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes they made a mistake if they have permanently removed it. I appreciate your response. Let's hope they come to thier senses.

Jump to solution

Come on Roku, at least give us closure and tell us what happened.  I just want to be able to use my Roku  remote app to control Roku on my PC.  This can't be an uncommon use case.

ebgwd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My wife and I sit in different chairs as we watch our Roku and we have one remote.  We used the app on the laptop as a remote and I was able to control volume and inputs but after I reformated my windows10 the app is nowhere.  Wonder if anyone has the download and can post it somewhere.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@ebgwd wrote:

My wife and I sit in different chairs as we watch our Roku and we have one remote.  We used the app on the laptop as a remote and I was able to control volume and inputs but after I reformated my windows10 the app is nowhere.  Wonder if anyone has the download and can post it somewhere.

Roku has discontinued support for the Windows app, so it's no longer available. I am not aware of any install file available. It was always installed via the Windows Store, so there was never a downloadable file. 

Dan

ebgwd
Binge Watcher

Roku Windows App — What happened? OFFICIAL ANSWER

Jump to solution

I understand that you are facing issue while trying to add the Roku App in your laptop,
let me do my best to fix this issue. 

You are experiencing this issue because
the Roku app is no longer available for the Pc and laptops.

The Roku app is supported only on the smartphone.

(Smiley SadAnd ROKU stock price continues to DROPSmiley Frustrated)

I kindly request you to add the Roku app on your mobile to control your Roku device or you can use a screen mirroring option in case if you are planning the watch the content in your laptop on the TV screen. Please click the below link and follow the procedure to do screen mirroring. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928 
(How do I use screen mirroring with my Android™ or Windows® device?)

If the issue is not fixed I kindly request you to write is back
Thank you.
Roku Tech Support

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@ebgwd wrote:

Play press your luck game download game here and read summoners war what runes to keep and guides for free.

My husband and I was having the same problem as you. Good thing someone have provided a solution. You just have to carefully follow the instruction given. Have a good day!

0 Kudos
dudewhereismy
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Windows App — What happened? OFFICIAL ANSWER

Jump to solution

Not everyone has smart phone.  Those like me can't hold on to a smart phones.  Being disabled I counted on the roku app from the widows store.

Now that I  purchased a new computer I no longer have the ability to use my roku tv.    Can't use a smart phone or the roku remote being I have limited dexterity in my hands.  Please reconsider putting the roku app back on the window store

atc98092

Re: Roku Windows App — What happened? OFFICIAL ANSWER

Jump to solution

I just checked the Windows store, and there are several 3rd party remote control apps for Windows 10. Some have a fee, but there is one called RRemote that is free and 47 reviews have averaged 4.2 out of 5 stars.

The one issue I see from the reviews is that it doesn't have the ability to switch between multiple Roku devices, although I did see a response from the developer that he's looking into it. Right now it just controls the first one it discovers on the network, so if you only have one Roku you're fine. If you have more than one, you have to power off the ones you don't want the app to see, and then it remains with that device even after the rest are back online.

It adds the usual warning that the computer and the Roku must both be on the same network with no security settings that block them from seeing each other. That is true for any app on any device, so shouldn't come as a surprise. 

EDIT: I just installed it and found the developer has added the ability to switch Roku devices via a dropdown on the left side of the app. I just tested the app and it seems to work perfectly. It sees all five Roku devices on my network, three of which are connected via WiFi and the other two being Ethernet connected. I tried a couple of things on the Roku TV sitting next to me and everything appears to work fine.

Dan