Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Windows 10 App HTTP Error

Jump to solution
"Block3" wrote:
I like being able to listen to music while on my laptop via bluetooth to my headphones from my Onkyo Receiver which I can control from an app on my laptop. Having the app for the ROKU as well there means needing to have one less remote at my side to, say for example, pick a different Pandora "station" to listen to.
Given the cost of the device it would seem that the programming involved in fixing the Windows app error would be something well worth attending to - something ROKU has completely dropped the ball on. If it's there, it should work, if for no other reason than "on principle".  I think the months of delay in fixing it indicates that their attitude is that they don't need to be bothered with their customer base. Not very user/customer friendly. 

That is a valid use of the app, and I agree that it becomes quite useful in your situation. If you have an iOS or Android device, you could use the Roku app on them for the same purpose, and to my knowledge they have no issues 
That said, I just opened the app on my Windows 10 computer and connected to the Roku TV sitting beside me. It was turned off, but when I clicked the "Remote" icon on the app (the one below the Home button) it turned the TV on. Using the buttons available on the app, I was in complete control of the TV, including the volume controls. Does that not offer you the control you are seeking? I didn't have to log in to my account to do this. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Stephen Kay
Senior Vice President & General Counsel, Roku, Inc.
150 Winchester Circle, Los Gatos, CA 95032
accessibility@roku.com
Phone number: 408-556-9391
Fax number: 408-364-1260
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
"Block3" wrote:
I like being able to listen to music while on my laptop via bluetooth to my headphones from my Onkyo Receiver which I can control from an app on my laptop. Having the app for the ROKU as well there means needing to have one less remote at my side to, say for example, pick a different Pandora "station" to listen to.
Given the cost of the device it would seem that the programming involved in fixing the Windows app error would be something well worth attending to - something ROKU has completely dropped the ball on. If it's there, it should work, if for no other reason than "on principle".  I think the months of delay in fixing it indicates that their attitude is that they don't need to be bothered with their customer base. Not very user/customer friendly. 

That is a valid use of the app, and I agree that it becomes quite useful in your situation. If you have an iOS or Android device, you could use the Roku app on them for the same purpose, and to my knowledge they have no issues 
That said, I just opened the app on my Windows 10 computer and connected to the Roku TV sitting beside me. It was turned off, but when I clicked the "Remote" icon on the app (the one below the Home button) it turned the TV on. Using the buttons available on the app, I was in complete control of the TV, including the volume controls. Does that not offer you the control you are seeking? I didn't have to log in to my account to do this. 

I'm hoping this post does not end up as a close duplicate of one I wrote in response to your question. In any event, I stand corrected (at least partially).
While the App doen't work to turn on the TV and/or ROKU itself, I do find that what you described is working once I've turned the TV on and used the actual ROKU remote to open up the Home page.
The Windows app does then appear to work if you only use the "Remote" icon as you describe. The Remote control shown there lets me navigate through the channels and make a selection there, as well as working within the selected app just as well as the actual handheld ROKU remote.
"My Feed" and "Streaming Channels" both lead to the non-functional sign in page.
"Play on Roku" often shows "There are no playlists" even while playing media from "My Music" which does shows music on my laptop as shown most closely to how Groove displays it.
I do have the app lock up, especially after having tried some of the options leading to the faulty sign in.
It still is annoying to have the app not work as obviously intended, particularly since a decent Windows App programmer with access to the source code could probably debug and fix that particular subroutine error in two days time, max. Considering how many thousands of $50+ units they've sold, it doesn't seem like that cost would even be a flea bite out of their bottom line. Think how many people have purchased a ROKU only to find it still has bugs, ones that people have been pointing out for months now. They're not the only show in town.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I'm abandoning all hope of the windows 10 version ever getting fixed..if its not been fixed, and there's no word on a potential fix after now 4 months..its not going to be fixed.
murphey's law: anything and everything that could go wrong can and probably will.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Same problem. Went to store to see if it needed an update and I noticed I can't find app in the Microsoft store and even though I have the app on my computer it doesn't show in my installed list. Did Microsoft store get rid of it?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
I dont know, but I've given up hope of EVER seeing a fix for the windows 10 roku app.
murphey's law: anything and everything that could go wrong can and probably will.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution
"XRaiderV18" wrote:
I dont know, but I've given up hope of EVER seeing a fix for the windows 10 roku app.

A few weeks ago on Twitter, @RokuSupport said to someone complaining of problems with it, that they are no longer supporting the Roku Windows 10 app, so I guess that means there will be no fix for it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution
Thanks for the notes here.  

The Roku mobile app for Windows is no longer supported. You can find our app for Android and iOS devices here: https://www.roku.com/mobile-app

Thanks,
Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
"RokuTannerD" wrote:

The Roku mobile app for Windows is no longer supported. You can find our app for Android and iOS devices here: GE72_6QD(20181102).txt
[center:2r9mm48w]
[/center:2r9mm48w]
CS/CH-Sreyaas Chandrasekar, November 2, 2018, 08:35 PDT:[/font]

2. What is the brand name and the model number of your computer? 
3. Roku application's software version
4. Computer's software version 
5. Did you try to use the Roku application on a different computer or laptop to control the device?
6. What is the brand name of the TV?
7. What is the Zip code of your location?

Please reply us back to help you further. 

Take care and have a nice day!

Regards,
Russ

Brian Mowrer, October 31, 2018, 13:11 PDT:[/font]
After entering the ROKU Windows APP and selecting any channel (you tube, etc) I receive the login screen show below.
After entering the correct username and password I get the error shown below.
If you go to this Roku forum you will find dozens of people reporting the same issue….
image001.png
image002.png

CS/CH-Sreyaas Chandrasekar, October 31, 2018, 12:50 PDT:[/font]
Hi Brian,

Thank you for contacting Roku. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. 

I understand that you cannot control the Roku device using the Roku mobile application due to HTTP error. 
Could you please elaborate the issue briefly to investigate about the issue? When did you get the error message? Please explain the issue o help you further. 

Take care and have a nice day!

Regards,
Russ

Brian Mowrer, October 29, 2018, 09:39 PDT:[/font]
Message: Hello, I, and many others on a Roku forum, are unable to use the Roku App on Windows 10. We receive an HTTP error when trying to login to the app.[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[/center]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
"RokuTannerD" wrote:

The Roku mobile app for Windows is no longer supported. You can find our app for Android and iOS devices here: https://www.roku.com/mobile-app

Thanks,
Tanner

Roku staff: since your Windows app no longer functions as advertised and is no longer supported, it should be removed from the Microsoft Store. Please save future users from having to figure out what this "HTTP error" means without any hope of agent-based support from your staff.

Any users who are disappointed with Roku's unprofessional handling of this issue might consider expressing their disappointment by reporting the app to Microsoft using the link in the Microsoft store at the bottom of the page for the Roku app for Windows. If you choose to report this, it would help to right-click the little #48 link next to RokuTannerD's post in this thread and copy the full link URL and paste the link into the report to Microsoft along with an explanation that the app no longer functions as advertised and is no longer supported by Roku. Or maybe Roku will just remove the app before Microsoft gets enough complaints to investigate.
0 Kudos