Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jockoe
Streaming Star

Volume controls for the Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

I would like to use the mobile app to control my Roku Ultra , but it doesn't show volume controls. It should show volume controls since I can control the volume with the regular remote, correct?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Volume controls for the Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

@jockoe 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Volume control for your TV is not available in the Roku mobile app when connected to a Roku player. The mobile app only offers volume controls for Roku TV models, or when using the mobile private listening feature. (If you have headphones connected to your phone, and are using mobile private listening, you can control the audio level using your phone's volume control for this type of playback.) 

For more information about using the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: Can I control my Roku® streaming device from my mobile device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jockoe 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Volume control for your TV is not available in the Roku mobile app when connected to a Roku player. The mobile app only offers volume controls for Roku TV models, or when using the mobile private listening feature. (If you have headphones connected to your phone, and are using mobile private listening, you can control the audio level using your phone's volume control for this type of playback.) 

For more information about using the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: Can I control my Roku® streaming device from my mobile device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
manofwill2468
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is false. Volume controls are available through the app and work. They just have them disabled for some reason. (I know this because I had a glitch where an on screen remote WITH volume controls came up one time in the app and it did infact work with my tv) However, a workaround for this, is to use the voice control function. Tap the mic icon on the top right of your screen and say "turn volume up" or "turn volume down" when you are in the onscreen remote and it should change your volume.

saltiel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

How can the volume control be enabled? I have the same problem and I am running the very latest version of Android 10.

0 Kudos
Shanku
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

When I purchased my Roku last week, I didn't even think about volume control--this is such a basic feature. I'm extremely disappointed that I can't control the volume with the app. Chromecast is able to do this without even needing an app open--you just use your phone volume control buttons. 

@manofwill2468 I tried using the speech recognition and it appears to work as the Roku thinks about it and indicates that it is changing the volume or mute. However, it does nothing. No volume change, no mute. 

It would seem the programming is there, but the company has decided to block it. Very unfortunate and disappointing. 

saltiel
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I would even understand if they had to put the volume up/down on the touch screen rather than using the cell phones volume control buttons.

This is a glaring omission and, once again, requires two remote controls to use!!

Tags (1)
Shanku
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

100% agree on both points! I feel like I'm going backwards in time where everyone has 5+ remotes for all their devices.

But seriously, @RokuDanny-R or other Roku peeps, any ideas or hope if this can be fixed?

manofwill2468
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Shanku Make sure you enable tv controls in the options of roku (they call it something like "allow roku to auto switch inputs" or something). I'm not currently at my roku but I will let you know how to do that at a later time

0 Kudos
Shanku
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@manofwill2468 thanks for keeping with this. I've just scoured the menus trying to find something like this, but I can't seem to find something similar to what you suggest. 

If you find it, I (and likely many others) would be extremely grateful!

Tags (1)
Bobo7

Jump to solution

YES, VOICE CONTROL WORKS FOR VOLUME UP AND DOWN!! Tap the mic icon, then speak, "turn volume up."

0 Kudos