Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Video, music and photo sharing/casting will not work

@OddyseyT 

I actually use Android version 7.1.1 and works fine with the photos.

So after you select Devices (lower right on mobile app), connect to to your Roku device (assuming succesful since remote is working) and select "Media", and then select "Photos", do you get the other options of Camera, Pictures, VZMedia, and Screenshots (or some combination similar)?

How far can you get and what happens?  Able to post any screenshots what you are seeing/not seeing on the TV Screen. (Use the little camera/photos icon above to post screenshots if able).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
OddyseyT
Binge Watcher

I don't think my phone supports Android 12 or newer.  The phone says it is up to date.  I've checked for updates twice now.  Thanks

0 Kudos
OddyseyT
Binge Watcher

Well its hard to capture what it is not doing.  BTW I can screen mirror as well by playing with the settings on the phone.  I am not having trouble with the phone's ability to mirror the screen, just the casting feature of the official mobile app for Roku.  The buttons on the media casting screen elicit no response from the tv and I get no pictures, music, videos on the tv screen.  Let me get off my computer and post another reply with pics.

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@OddyseyT  Please try clearing the cache and app data. This will reset the app on your phone. Also the app will need permission to access your pictures. So you can screen mirror your phone with no issue. You can use your phone as a remote. You just can’t send personal pictures or videos from your phone to your Roku correct? Sounds to me like you need to grant permission for the app to access your pictures. Is this enabled in your phone settings under the Roku app? Have you tried uninstalling the app restarting your phone and reinstalling the app?

0 Kudos
OddyseyT
Binge Watcher

Screenshot_20220418-161601_Roku.jpgScreenshot_20220418-161631_Roku.jpg

Screenshot_20220418-161650_Roku.jpgScreenshot_20220418-171318_Roku.jpg

So I push the play/pause button on the mobile app and this is what I get on the TV:

20220418_161736.jpg

0 Kudos
OddyseyT
Binge Watcher

OK.  I installed the ccleaner app and cleaned the cache and app data and other junk.  I granted the app the proper permissions both times I installed it.  It has been uninstalled and reinstalled.  It is still not working.  I just got the Roku two days ago, and there couldn't have been much app data or in the cache to begin with,  however the official mobile app has never been able to cast videos, pics and music since I installed it yesterday.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

No no no. Never use anything like that. That’s dangerous. Never install any type of cache cleaner or some other app that says it can improve your phone. I provided you a link which describes how to do it yourself through your android settings. What says not working?  The app on your phone has nothing to do with the Roku you just bought a couple of days ago

0 Kudos
OddyseyT
Binge Watcher

OK so the article you sent me too mentions ccleaner and I have been using it for decades on computers.  Its a reliable cleaning program that has a great reputation.  There is NOTHING in the cache for the app and I am not going through every app on my phone to clean app data and the cache for each and every single one.  CCleaner is great open source software.  The phone has been restarted twice, etc. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

CCleaner is garbage ever since Avast bought it years ago. You don’t have to do each app individually. I was only referring to the Roku app. If you go into settings on your phone and find the Roku app you can clear the cache and app data from only the Roku app. This will reset the app. This is a common procedure with any app on an android device

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@OddyseyT  The steps are right here5B35F757-1E20-433B-9938-D2001F37F592.jpeg

0 Kudos