Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maven
Level 7

Using the Roku app

I just got my TCL TV and downloaded the Roku App. I thought I could use it to "speak" to my TV, put when I ask it so "find" something, it only finds it on my phone. Does the app also control the TV? I would like to search for English mysteries to watch on the tv,etc.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Using the Roku app

I just tested the app with my Sharp Roku TV, and yes the voice search did work. Of course, it's only going to find media that is permitted to be searched. For example, I asked it to play Star Wars using Roku Media Player, but either I need to be more specific or RMP couldn't find that title on my media server. It did return a lot of results for Star Wars from different online sources. 

Yes, the app can control the TV the same as the remote that comes with the TV. I'm not certain if you can directly tune to a OTA TV channel with the number pad, so I'll need to try that some time. I'm currently using that TV as a computer monitor for work, and I have a Zoom meeting at the moment so can't experiment further at this time. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos