Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using WifiDirect To Pair Roku device and Roku Mobile App REMOTE!??!

Jump to solution

Hello,

So Ive seen that a Roku Television with MAC Address can broadcast a WIFI SSID that is password protected. Very little is to be found on this subject - and any response from roku customer support or experts alike quickly state that it is not for internet access nor for the user to know the password - but that it is a way for that Roku to communicate with it’s paired / need to pair remote.

so - as i am sitting in my room today i realize this may be a way to pair a roku tv with the mobile app version of the remote...is this logical? If so - i know someone knows the default password. please let me know (thx)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Using WifiDirect To Pair Roku device and Roku Mobile App REMOTE!??!

Jump to solution

This is actually for several functions:  1) pairing their enhanced voice remotes, 2) screen mirroring, 3) hotel & dorm connect.

However, connecting the Roku mobile app to the device isnt one of them.

You can enable/disable the WiFi direct receiver/AP by disabling "Device connect" (it's essentially what Roku calls WiFi Direct) via Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect (enable, disable).

Device connect enabled=WiFi Direct enabled

Device connect disabled=WiFi Direct disabled

Mobile app access to the device is supposed to be controlled via "Mobile app access" (Settings/System/Advanced system setting/Control by mobile apps (default, permissive, disabled)) and uses normal network access (wired/wireless to the device to connect; however, in firmware 9.4.x this is utterly broken: even if this is disabled, you can still access the device using the app(s).

Regardless, no, you dont need/use the WiFi Direct (Device connect) functionality to connect the Roku mobile app to a Roku.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Using WifiDirect To Pair Roku device and Roku Mobile App REMOTE!??!

Jump to solution

This is actually for several functions:  1) pairing their enhanced voice remotes, 2) screen mirroring, 3) hotel & dorm connect.

However, connecting the Roku mobile app to the device isnt one of them.

You can enable/disable the WiFi direct receiver/AP by disabling "Device connect" (it's essentially what Roku calls WiFi Direct) via Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect (enable, disable).

Device connect enabled=WiFi Direct enabled

Device connect disabled=WiFi Direct disabled

Mobile app access to the device is supposed to be controlled via "Mobile app access" (Settings/System/Advanced system setting/Control by mobile apps (default, permissive, disabled)) and uses normal network access (wired/wireless to the device to connect; however, in firmware 9.4.x this is utterly broken: even if this is disabled, you can still access the device using the app(s).

Regardless, no, you dont need/use the WiFi Direct (Device connect) functionality to connect the Roku mobile app to a Roku.