Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mauricem2

How to fix TV that keeps turning on by itself

Jump to solution

My TCL tv with built-in Roku keeps turning on by itself after we turn it off with the Roku app, this happens 2 or 3 times before it stops doing it. Has anyone experienced this? if you found a solution pls let me know.

Labels (1)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jen5

Re: How to fix TV that keeps turning on by itself

Jump to solution

Hey my tv was doing this yesterday. I went into the settings and found restart. So I restarted the tv and it hasn't happened since. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jayeliot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I discovered three solutions.

1. After turning off tv with TCL remote I unplug the tv briefly. (Not a good solution)

2. After turning off tv with TCL remote I remove the batteries from remote, briefly.(Better,  but not good solution)

3. I downloaded the Roku Remote app and use that solved the problem. (Now I want TCL to replace this defective remote that came with the TV

0 Kudos
InductiveBill
Reel Rookie

Re: Tv keeps turning on by itself

Jump to solution

That’s it! I disabled the screensaver and it stays off!

58 REPLIES 58
jmhl

Jump to solution

We have the same issue. We live in an apartment where there is a line of sight to another apartment building out our living room window, so my theory is that somebody else with the same kind of remote in the other building can turn our TV on, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Short of covering the IR receiver and only using he phone app to control the TV, I'm not sure what the solution is -- IR remotes are all the same, there is no way to pair the remote and the TV so that only our remote can turn it off and on.

0 Kudos
DailyPlanet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have found the app turns on the tv just by opening the app. It turns on whichever tv we last connected to via the app. This is very annoying if I want to control a different tv than the one I last connected to.

boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Try Settings/System/Control other devices.... make sure one touch play is disabled.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
DailyPlanet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is off. It has only started doing this since the app was updated.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Oh @Tivoburkee is the one you should be talking to.

maybe he knows how to switch bands or something. Probably does.

Remember Roku doesnt make the TV's TCL does.

you could contact them.

I think TCL used to be RCA I forget.

Why dont you use an Aquarium screensaver?

Solid State doesnt really wear out.

0 Kudos
perthseas

Jump to solution

Didn't work for me, the 1-touch play is not checked...hope you're not dead from holding your breath! 🤨

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

After you change Settings sometimes you need to do a System Reset.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same issue here with the App and TCL Ruko TV.  This last time, I turned off the TV and then made sure the app was closed on my cell phone.  It seems to have worked, I have waited about 10 minutes now. I allowed my cell to go to sleep and then woke it up again, still no TV on!  

I will have to remember this is the future,  Thanks to all of you for the ideas!

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I've notice that the app can control multiple devices, but switching to one not currently selected will turn it on as a side effect.  This can be surprising if you stop watching in a different room and switch control back to the one you watch more often before closing the app.