Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffreyabr
Level 7

Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

I've got a folder on my laptop that has a good amount of high-resolution photos that would be cool to have as a screensaver on my Roku.

I noticed there was a Picasa app that lets you run your photos, but it (1) Goes through all of your photos, not a designated folder and (2) doesn't display pictures fullscreen or stretch them at all to be larger than a small box.

Is there anything out there, whether it will read a folder on my laptop or that allows me to upload photos which plays a screensaver of photos on a Roku?
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

I have not found such that worked well.

A developer on here has reported that is is difficult, or maybe slow, to re-size jpgs in a screensaver and that is why it was not done.

I, too, would like such a screensaver. It would be of value too me but not if it required me to upload my pictures to the cloud. I do not trust storage that I do not control so I will not upload my pictures to the cloud.

Besides if I were to upload my pictures the government would appropriate my pictures of Bigfoot and the aliens that landed here last month and stayed for coffee and brandy. Smiley Happy

On the serious side I really do not understand why there seems to be no photo slide show screensaver that re-sizes the jpgs to fit the TV while maintaining the pictures aspect. That is the picture should look just like the original just be as large as possible to fit the screen.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
ACraigo
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

Plex can work with photos I take it. Display some photos and when the screen saver kicks in a photo might be displayed. Kind of a hack tho and probably not worth the energy costs of running the server 24/7. I only mention that because I woke up a while ago with a crawling MST3K image on my TV.

Got any good Brasillian Alien photos (Nekked Rio party wimmen will also do as they are technically aliens)? Smiley Happy
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

"ACraigo" wrote:
Plex can work with photos I take it. Display some photos and when the screen saver kicks in a photo might be displayed. Kind of a hack tho and probably not worth the energy costs of running the server 24/7.

Got any good Brasillian Alien photos (Nekked Rio party wimmen will also do as they are technically aliens)? Smiley Happy


Plex sort of has some ability to do that but, and it is a big ugly but, what I want is for the screensaver to show a slideshow of my pictures.

As far as the alien pictures: they are actually sort of a cross between the Roswell grays and Roseanne Barr. They are not pretty to look at but they have a rather tremendous capacity for brandy and they are quite humorous conversationalists. They actually were pretty good house guests but if you were to see one "Nekked" it would probably strike you blind. Smiley Wink :twisted:
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
ACraigo
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

Then you'll have plenty of time to warn me as I search for just the right pair of glasses to see them with - after my last viewing stuck me blind (or it could have just been my advanced age) and that's the story I'm sticking with.

LOL
Tony
Roku 2 HD
www.youtube.com/user/TheFishMojo
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

"jeffreyabr" wrote:

I noticed there was a Picasa app that lets you run your photos, but it (1) Goes through all of your photos, not a designated folder and (2) doesn't display pictures fullscreen or stretch them at all to be larger than a small box.

It's not really a screensaver, but the Flickr app allows albums and does full screen display.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
jeffreyabr
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

"kc8pql" wrote:
"jeffreyabr" wrote:

I noticed there was a Picasa app that lets you run your photos, but it (1) Goes through all of your photos, not a designated folder and (2) doesn't display pictures fullscreen or stretch them at all to be larger than a small box.

It's not really a screensaver, but the Flickr app allows albums and does full screen display.


Yeah, I've toyed with that. It's good, but not a screensaver in the sense that it doesn't trigger into action when the player sits idly for a period of time. So close though.


Plex is sort of annoying because it has such great functionality, but it requires your PC to be on at all times, and I don't want to always keep my laptop on.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

"jeffreyabr" wrote:

Plex is sort of annoying because it has such great functionality, but it requires your PC to be on at all times, and I don't want to always keep my laptop on.

If the laptop isn't on all the time no screensaver would be able to access your photo file anyway.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
BradC
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

I figured this wouldn't be too hard to write a screensaver that does this. Just takes photos off a folder on a flash drive connected to your Roku player.

So I wrote one. Then I noticed, there's already one out there that does exactly this.


http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/ ... reen-saver



hah. oh well. Smiley LOL
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
4d3fect
Level 7

Re: Screensaver to Display My Pictures?

"BradC" wrote:
I figured this wouldn't be too hard to write a screensaver that does this. Just takes photos off a folder on a flash drive connected to your Roku player.

So I wrote one. Then I noticed, there's already one out there that does exactly this.


http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/ ... reen-saver



hah. oh well. Smiley LOL



nope. postage stamp size pics.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos