Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Upyouralli

Same network, phone app doesn't work now

Jump to solution

I have a roku TV in my bedroom and have been using the roku remote control app. However out of the blue it stopped working and says there is no device found. Everything I have is on the same network and it has been working fine. I have a real roku remote however, this is still so frustrating. I've done all the troubleshooting suggested. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Same network, phone app doesn't work now

Jump to solution

Hi @Upyouralli,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

If your device still does not appear on the discovery screen, try one of the following:

1. Connect to your Roku device manually.
    In the top corner of the device selection screen, tap the icon with a circle and 3 dots, and then select Connect Manually. Next, enter the IP address of your Roku device and tap Connect. You can find the IP address by visiting Settings > Network > About on your Roku device.

2. Restart your Roku device.
    After you restart your Roku device, ensure that it is connected to the correct wireless network.

3. Restart the Roku mobile app.
    Restart the app by doing one of the following:
    • On iOS devices, double-click the iOS home button and then swipe the Roku app to close it. After it has been closed, tap on the Roku app icon to launch.
    • On Android devices, press the Recents button and then swipe the Roku app to close it. After it has been closed, tap on the Roku app icon to launch.

4. Check the network name.
    Many routers today utilize two signals to provide better speed and coverage. These devices are generally referred to as dual-band routers because they transmit data at the lower 2.4 GHz band and at the higher 5 GHz band. When connecting devices to your wireless network, the choices may include more than one network with a similar name (e.g., MyNetwork_2.4GHz, MyNetwork_5GHz). Confirm that your Roku device and your mobile device are connected to the same band and network name.

I've provided a link below to go into further detail: Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Upyouralli,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

If your device still does not appear on the discovery screen, try one of the following:

1. Connect to your Roku device manually.
    In the top corner of the device selection screen, tap the icon with a circle and 3 dots, and then select Connect Manually. Next, enter the IP address of your Roku device and tap Connect. You can find the IP address by visiting Settings > Network > About on your Roku device.

2. Restart your Roku device.
    After you restart your Roku device, ensure that it is connected to the correct wireless network.

3. Restart the Roku mobile app.
    Restart the app by doing one of the following:
    • On iOS devices, double-click the iOS home button and then swipe the Roku app to close it. After it has been closed, tap on the Roku app icon to launch.
    • On Android devices, press the Recents button and then swipe the Roku app to close it. After it has been closed, tap on the Roku app icon to launch.

4. Check the network name.
    Many routers today utilize two signals to provide better speed and coverage. These devices are generally referred to as dual-band routers because they transmit data at the lower 2.4 GHz band and at the higher 5 GHz band. When connecting devices to your wireless network, the choices may include more than one network with a similar name (e.g., MyNetwork_2.4GHz, MyNetwork_5GHz). Confirm that your Roku device and your mobile device are connected to the same band and network name.

I've provided a link below to go into further detail: Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Keep us posted and we'll continue assisting from there if needed.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Upyouralli

Jump to solution

Thanks Mary! I got it figured out and working again.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having this exact problem. The directions to correct the problem make sense to me (connect manually) except I can’t find my IP address if I can’t use my remote to get to settings. I have a Roku3 and the remote that came with it has died. I’ve ordered a new remote but how can I use my Roku in the meantime? Please advise. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@moviebuff1818

Thanks for the post.

You can check your IP address reported location by visiting www.whatismyip.com 

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos