Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
maxmann
Level 8

Roku phone app - port forwarding

Hello

I would like to use the Roku app on my phone but the problem is my phone and Roku are connected to the separate routers (but under same network), I'm not sure what ports do I have to forward on my router so it could be reachable through my network, I googled a lot but I didn't find any solution I'll appreciate if anyone could help me with this.

I already tried these ports both UDP-TCP:

For example if I reach this page from my network I only get a white screen with no details!

http://192.168.1.10:8060/query/apps

Header says:
Server: Roku UPnP/1.0 MiniUPnPd/1.4
Status code: 403 Forbidden

My router firmware:
AdvancedTomato

Labels (1)
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku phone app - port forwarding

"maxmann" wrote:
Hello

I would like to use the Roku app on my phone but the problem is my phone and Roku are connected to the separate routers (but under same network), I'm not sure what ports do I have to forward on my router so it could be reachable through my network, I googled a lot but I didn't find any solution I'll appreciate if anyone could help me with this.

For example if I reach this page from my network I only get a white screen with no details!
Header says:

My router firmware:
AdvancedTomato

With most networks, if you're on the same IP address range and subnet, it doesn't matter how many different access points (routers) you have. However, if your different routers are segregating your network segments, all bets are off. I have no idea what port might be used by the phone app. Figure out if your network uses the same IP address range and subnet on all sections. If not, you need to do some reconfiguration, and this forum isn't really the place to discuss that issue. With Tomato running on your routers, you should be able to ensure everything is reachable across your network, as it's quite capable. I have it on one of mine, and would have it on more if they all supported it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
maxmann
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
"maxmann" wrote:
Hello

Header says:

My router firmware:
AdvancedTomato

With most networks, if you're on the same IP address range and subnet, it doesn't matter how many different access points (routers) you have. However, if your different routers are segregating your network segments, all bets are off. I have no idea what port might be used by the phone app. Figure out if your network uses the same IP address range and subnet on all sections. If not, you need to do some reconfiguration, and this forum isn't really the place to discuss that issue. With Tomato running on your routers, you should be able to ensure everything is reachable across your network, as it's quite capable. I have it on one of mine, and would have it on more if they all supported it. 

Thank you for your help, I tested with same IP range and subnet but the result was the same, I believe this is a security restriction by Roku because when I reach the port 8060 on my browser I get response from "Roku UPnP/1.0 MiniUPnPd/1.4" which means the port was forwarded correctly and there is no issue with routers, but I don't know how to bypass this security restriction.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I just tried that URL, using the IP address for my three Rokus online, and I get a response without a problem. The computer is hard wired, and two of the three Rokus are also wired. Only one is wireless, and it happens to be connected through a router using Advanced Tomato as well. It is configured as an access point, not a router. But all three returned the same thing:
<apps>
[color=#000000][size=100][font=monospace]<app id="31012" type="menu" version="1.9.26">Movie Store and TV Store</app>
<app id="tvinput.dtv" type="tvin" version="1.0.0">Antenna TV</app>
<app id="13" subtype="ndka" type="appl" version="10.8.2019011508">Amazon Prime Video</app>
<app id="20255" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="4.2.1624">Roku Media Player</app>
<app id="2213" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="4.1.1609">Roku Media Player</app>
<app id="13842" subtype="ndka" type="appl" version="1.3.270205">VUDU</app>
<app id="837" subtype="ndka" type="appl" version="1.0.80000281">YouTube</app>
<app id="12" subtype="ndka" type="appl" version="4.2.81115023">Netflix</app>
<app id="151908" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="1.5.9">The Roku Channel</app>
<app id="2016" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="5.4.11">Crackle</app>
<app id="13535" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="6.1.1">Plex</app>
<app id="14362" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="2.0.39">Amazon Music</app>
<app id="17639" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="4.3.0">Midnight Pulp</app>
<app id="17888" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="2.0.19">Chaneru 2.19</app>
<app id="19217" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="4.0.168">Smithsonian Channel</app>
<app id="19264" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="2.10.705">FilmRise CoolFlix</app>
<app id="28096" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="3.2.6">RARflix</app>
<app id="32209" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.3.1">Oh The Horror!</app>
<app id="32609" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="2.1.17">Chaneru 2.17</app>
<app id="33455" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.3.1">Retro Sci-Fi</app>
<app id="35059" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.19.7">HISTORY</app>
<app id="41468" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="2.2.8">Tubi TV</app>
<app id="28" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="5.1.26">Pandora</app>
<app id="1440" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.0.2">Moonlight Movies</app>
<app id="1441" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.0.2">Drive-In Classics</app>
<app id="74519" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="3.11.6272">Pluto TV</app>
<app id="47123" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.12.0">UltraFlix</app>
<app id="50025" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="2.0.20181204">Google Play Movies</app>
<app id="53696" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.3.1">Shout Factory TV</app>
<app id="59643" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="1.4.706">Mutant Sorority Pictures</app>
<app id="38896" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="1.5.771">WatchFreeFlix</app>
<app id="95724" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="3.7.123">Grit</app>
<app id="119146" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="1.1.5">Free Grindhouse Flix Tonight</app>
<app id="140565" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.1.1">Comet TV</app>
<app id="57960" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="1.0.9">B-Movie TV</app>
<app id="30547" subtype="sdka" type="appl" version="1.0.6069">WeatherNation</app>
<app id="186362" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="1.9.168">Movies Anywhere</app>
<app id="186839" subtype="rdpb" type="appl" version="1.30.17">VINYL</app>
<app id="153464" subtype="rdpb" type="appl" version="1.30.200">Classic Movie Vault</app>
<app id="216651" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="1.5.9">The Roku Channel</app>
<app id="44191" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="3.0.134">Emby</app>
<app id="143088" subtype="rsga" type="appl" version="2.17.508">BritBox</app>
[/font][/size][/color]
</apps>

No code 403 for me. Check your settings and see if Network access is disabled. On my Sharp TV, it's under System/Advanced Settings/Control by mobile apps/Network access. Default should allow it from the same private network address, disabled blocks it at all times, and permissive is always enabled, but says it only accepts commands from private network addresses OR the same subnet. 

I need to get rid of a bunch of those channels. Never use them!  Smiley LOL
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

Under Settings->System->Advanced system settings there's a "Control by mobile apps" setting. Try setting it to "Permissive".

-JT
0 Kudos
maxmann
Level 8

"renojim" wrote:
Under Settings->System->Advanced system settings there's a "Control by mobile apps" setting.  Try setting it to "Permissive".

-JT

It is already on "Permissive" mode, I also changed the firmware of my router to DD-WRT, but it still returns '403 Forbidden' from Roku!
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Are they both wireless?  Some routers have a function to prevent accessing other clients on the network.
0 Kudos
maxmann
Level 8

"twiceover" wrote:
Are they both wireless?  Some routers have a function to prevent accessing other clients on the network.

Roku to router - Lan
Router to the main router - Lan
Roku Android app or PC to the main router - Wireless
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Just wondering here, interesting problem. Wonder if a port forward needs made at the middle router so incoming connection gets router to roku. Are they not bridged?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos

Did anyone ever figure this out?

I'm in a similar situation where my Roku TV and phone live in two different networks/IP ranges and, as a result, the mobile app doesn't see the Roku TV. The routing between the two networks is properly configured as I can ping the Roku TV without issue.

0 Kudos