Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku iPhone audio streaming doesn't work consistently

I'm using a Roku Streaming stick and the Roku app on iphone.

The iPhone app has this feature that can stream audio to my connected headphones.

More often than not, when a video is actively playing on the roku stick and I click the headphone button on my iphone I get an error that says something about streaming audio to my headphones doesn't work because the network is not fast enough.

However, if I do the following:

1) Stop the video

2) Click the back arrow (to exit the video)

3) Click headphone button (to connect audio)

4) Restart the video

Then all works well and audio streams to my iphone connected headphones.

This suggests to me that there's a bug in the Roku/iphone app that prevents streaming from starting when the video is already playing.  It's pretty clear that there *is* enough bandwidth for streaming to work fine.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku iPhone audio streaming doesn't work consistently

@jaaaasshh Thanks for reaching out. Could you provide some additional details here so we can try to help assist you further: 

- What model of iPhone are you using and what version of iOS is it running? 

- What version of the Roku mobile app do you have installed? 

- What model of Roku device are you using? (Settings>System>About - e.g. Roku Ultra 4660X)

- What streaming channel are you watching video in when you tap to activate private listening and see that message? Could you provide a picture of the error you see appear and include it in your reply? 

- Does this happen in every streaming channel (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc.) or just one channel in particular? 

- Have you tried restarting both your Roku device and wireless modem/router just to see if this clears up the issue? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

8+

3600x roku stick

at a minimum: netflix and plex

all the things have been restarted 

The issue has been around for a long time.. Like a year at least. It’s presumably spanned numerous versions of all the things.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jaaaasshh  Thanks for the details. This issue may also be caused by a network-related issue. A few more things that we would recommend trying: 

- Ensure your wireless network is broadcasting on the 5GHz band. 5GHz offers more wireless channels and quicker transmission speeds between your device and the router, which can help improve performance and decrease wireless interference. 

- Try changing your wireless network's broadcast channel to reduce wireless interference. If another nearby network is broadcasting on the same or a bordering channel, this may cause wireless interference that can reduce network performance. Your ISP or wireless router manufacturer can assist you in doing this. 

- Test connecting your mobile device and Roku to a different wireless network. If the issue does not occur, this can help confirm that a possible network issue can be impacting performance. 

- Test using a different mobile device with the Roku mobile app to see if you observe the same behavior from that device. 

Keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You'll note that I didn't say the audio doesn't connect at all.  I said that it works inconsistently.  In fact, there are clearly defined steps in my original post that outline how to get it working.  This strongly suggests to me that the network is capable of handling the situation thus making all 4 of your suggestions irrelevant.

Aside from that, I've used this roku stick on numerous networks and televisions.  The issue spans *many* networks, not just a single one.  Troubleshooting the way you described doesn't seem productive.

This form doesn't seem to allow me to upload a screenshot (or that functionality is broken, not really sure).  The exact error message is: "PRIVATE LISTENING We were not able to start the audio stream. Please ensure that you have a strong wifi signal and try again"

0 Kudos