Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KatjaForest
Channel Surfer

Roku app refuses to recognize television

I’ve already searched for the threads you’re going to suggest and they did not help.  

The app has been working off and on for weeks.  It stops completely and starts again.  I replaced my remote but it’s physically painful to use it due to the awkward angle and a disability, and Roku support just insists that they solved my issues.  Now I don’t have any access through my app, and can barely use my TV.   

The phone and TV are definitely both connected to the same network but the phone insists that the TV doesn’t exist even when I put in the IP address manually.  The remote technically works but it’s impossible to browse videos or search for anything specific. I’m about ready to cancel all my subscriptions and find a different brand smart TV.

Does anyone here know what caused this?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Roku app refuses to recognize television

I have a similar issue

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

It's more than just being on the same network, although that is one of the requirements. Another is that the wireless connection must not have any security settings that block connected devices from seeing each other. Some users have reported it working better if both the phone and the Roku are connected to the same access point and band (both on 2.4 or 5 GHz), but on my network that isn't an issue. 

If your router (and access point) are controlled by your ISP (as many cable companies do), they might be changing the security setting on you without your knowledge. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KatjaForest
Channel Surfer

This has been an issue with my previous and current router and I literally don’t understand most of what you said.  They are also not owned by my ISP.

Here is what I know about routers:  I know what buttons and wires to check when they stop working.  This has been enough for my entire life.  I can fix minor problems on my computer myself.  

But what you’re discussing (access points???  Bands???) is completely foreign to me and I need someone to tell me how to fix this in language that doesn’t assume I work in IT.  Roku has already made it clear they won’t help, and my cable/internet company is widely known for their terrible service, and calling them before made them email information I asked for to my ex.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I understand. It does get technical. Unfortunately, the settings I'm referring to are not labeled consistently across brands, so without personal knowledge of your router I can't offer step by step instructions. But let me provide some basic info.

There are two types of hardware that provides WiFi services for a network. They are usually labeled as either a router or "wireless access point" (WAP). The router can include a modem to communicate with the incoming connection (usually used with cable or DSL). Most routers or modems include a WAP within them, but WAPs can also be stand-alone devices on your network. My personal network has both types. The router/modem includes software that isolates your home network from the public network you connect to, usually directly to the Internet but some ISPs have their own internal network before connecting you to the Internet. The router keeps people out of your network you don't want to let in. 

WiFi has an official designation of IEEE 802.11, assigned by an international governing body. Within that designation, there are many different versions, all labeled with a letter(s) at the end. These are often referred to as modes in most router settings. There are currently three radio bands that are authorized for unlicensed home network use: 2.4, 5 and 6 GHz (Gigahertz). 6 GHz is really new, so most WAPs and wireless devices only support 2.4 and/or 5 GHz. Some people incorrectly refer to these as 2.4G or 5G, but that confuses WiFi with Cellular service. 

Each band supports certain modes. 2.4 GHz supports mode B/G/N, while 5 GHz supports A/N/AC/AX. There are more modes than that, but these are the typical ones used by home WiFi devices. Not all Roku devices support both radio bands, but I believe most Roku TVs do. Most recent cell phones will also cover both bands. 

Within each radio band, channels are assigned to allow multiple devices to operate within close proximity of each other. The problem, particularly on the 2.4 GHz band, is that many channels overlap the frequencies used by other channels. This overlap can cause radio interference and disrupt WiFi communications. For the 2.4 GHz band, only three channels do not overlap: 1, 6 and 11. If you choose one of those you should have the best chance of clear communications. WAPs generally do a good job of auto-selecting a clear channel to use, but not always. So that's why sometimes you have to manually assign the channel yourself.

I also mentioned a security setting. There are multiple ways manufacturers label this setting, so it's difficult to tell you what to look for. But however it's labeled, what it does is block wireless devices from seeing any other devices on your home network, only allowing outside access to the Internet. If this setting is on, then your phone cannot see your Roku TV to allow the app to control it. Somewhere within your router's wireless settings, and/or security settings, is this setting. You need to find it and ensure it's off to permit your phone to see your Roku.

One last comment: many access points have what is labeled as a guest WiFi network. If you're using the guest side, I can almost guarantee that the security setting mentioned above is on. That's intentional on a guest network to restrict access to only reach the Internet. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos