Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmcneely0
Level 7

Roku app for iPad screen orientation

I just installed the Roku Mobile app for my iPad.  I use my iPad in landscape mode with a keyboard case.  The main objective was to be able to use my bluetooth keyboard to type on the Roku through the app.  This worked, but the Roku app reverts to a portrait display on the iPad so it’s sideway since I use the iPad in landscape mode.  Any chance the Roku Mobil App could be modified to properly orient itself when the iPad is in landscape mode?  The app isn’t unusable by any stretch, just a user experience question.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
7 Replies
GRL1970
Level 7

Re: Roku app for iPad screen orientation

I do not see any answers to the only question about the topic: “Landscape orientation” the Roku app is useless to me in the portrait view. Why is it like this and as the other person who asked this question, is this something that can be changed? Thanks

bmcneely0
Level 7

FWIW, I unplugged my Rokus and switched to Apple TV units.  The mobile remote app is built into my iPhone and iPad and works great in landscape mode.

0 Kudos
DocRoot
Level 10

@bmcneely0 wrote:

FWIW, I unplugged my Rokus and switched to Apple TV units.  The mobile remote app is built into my iPhone and iPad and works great in landscape mode.

Are you using the "Roku - Official Remote Control" app by ROKU INC on the iPad? This app does not appear to support landscape orientation? In fact, this app doesn't appear to be specifically designed for the iPad - it's an iPhone app that "stretches". (?)

EDIT: Ahhh, you're talking about the Apple TV remote app - not Roku?!

0 Kudos
Sonflower
Level 7

I just downloaded the roku app on my iPad to stream movies using roku. Was shocked they do not support landscape. This is 2021! 

charian
Level 8

Hello bmcneely0,

Try this:- You can lock the screen orientation so that it doesn’t change when you rotate iPad. Open Control Center, then tap the Lock Orientation button. When the screen orientation is locked, the Lock Orientation icon appears in the status bar.

coomeet  azar  shagle

0 Kudos
DocRoot
Level 10

@charian wrote:

Try this:- You can lock the screen orientation so that it doesn’t change when you rotate iPad.

But that's the "problem" with the Roku mobile app - it doesn't rotate!

charian
Level 8

Hi @DocRoot

ok

0 Kudos