Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku app cannot find device connected to cell phone tethering

I am trying to connect to a Bluetooth speaker and learned that I need to do that through the Roku APP.

My Roku device is being connected to the internet through my cell phone tethering. When I search for my device on the Roku App in my phone, it does not find the device. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku app cannot find device connected to cell phone tethering

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

In most cases, when a phone is used as a hotspot the phone cannot see devices connected to the hotspot and vice versa. So the Roku device will not be visible while connected to the phone. This is a security feature so that someone cannot connect to your phone and potentially hack into it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It looks like the speaker connection is over bluetooth.  So do the devices have to be on the same ip network when a bluetooth connection is being made?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@EdATX wrote:

It looks like the speaker connection is over Bluetooth.  So do the devices have to be on the same IP network when a Bluetooth connection is being made?

Bluetooth is a separate protocol from WiFi, even though they both share the 2.4 GHz frequency band. Neither have any impact on the other. So no, they are not on the same network, nor can they actually be so connected. 

I also realize I didn't fully answer the original question. You cannot connect a Roku player to Bluetooth speakers, with the exception of a Roku TV using Roku wireless speakers. No Roku currently has a Bluetooth radio for such a connection. However, the new Ultra that will be available in a couple of weeks will have a Bluetooth radio. I don't know if it can connect to speakers, or if it's solely to play media from a phone/tablet via BT. My guess is the latter. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos