Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BuffaloW1ngs
Level 7

Roku Ultra 2020 Remote and Mobile App remote will not pause when streaming.

I just replaced my Roku streaming stick with the 2020 Ultra. So far I love it except for an issue I have encountered. The last two nights while watching a show I have tried to pause it.  The screen turns black but the sound and playback continues. I have tried to pause with both the remote and the mobile app remote. The same issue happens. The only way I can stop the playback is by hitting the back arrow. Anyone else have this problem and know a solution?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 Remote and Mobile App remote will not pause when streaming.

Does this happen on one particular channel?

When problems are confined to a particular channel, it may be that the channel installation has gotten corrupted. A reinstall may fix the problem, so give it a try. Remove/reinstall procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.
  2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.
  3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
    Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart. (On a Roku TV, this is Settings > System > Power > System restart.)
  4. Reinstall the channel. Note it will be added to the END of the channel grid.
  5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
BuffaloW1ngs
Level 7

No. It has happened using Hulu and HBO Max

0 Kudos
Jesslyn
Level 7

I’m having the same issue, I thought maybe I got an ultra with a glitch in it so I returned it and got a new one and my new one is doing the same thing on the Fubo app 

0 Kudos
Cdub12356424675
Level 8

It's a known issue and it's been discussed in other threads.  it appears to be a software glitch that only affects the 2020 Ultra. Earlier models don't have the problem. Roku has been quiet on the issue. They will keep asking questions about model numbers and serial numbers and giving instructions on resetting which don't help. A brand new unit out of the box using any streaming service will have this problem and shouldn't. You just have to live with it or get a different model of wait for a possible update from Roku.

Roku if I'm wrong, please correct me.

0 Kudos
Jesslyn
Level 7

This is the response I received from roku in regards to my email about the pause issue “”Thank you for contacting Roku customer support. I understand when you pause the content while playback, the display turns black, but the audio keeps running.

Please help us with the following details to investigate and isolate the issue:

• Software version (Settings>System>System update)
  • Issue ID (Can be generated on the home screen by pressing the home button 5 times and the back button 5 times in exact sequence)
  • Serial Number of the Roku device (Settings>System>About)
  • TV make and Model number
  • Display setting that was selected

Thank you for choosing Roku. Have a great day!”””

0 Kudos
CBT
Level 7

I use the remote from my older Roku for pausing and restarting and it works. Very irritating to have this issue with a brand new Roku. I hope they come up with a solution.

0 Kudos
Krazyjoe
Level 7

I’ve also had the black screen while trying to pause issue.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would recommend checking for a manual update on your Roku device to download the latest OS and see if your issue is resolved.

For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MBinMD
Level 7

Checked for update this morning.

Downloaded and installed Roku update.

Pause issue seems to have been resolved by update.

0 Kudos