Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Mobile App/ screensaver not working correctly

When trying to add pictures to the screensaver function of the roku mobile app, it will only allow me to add 3 pictures and it says its only 10% full before I get an error message and won't allow me to add any more pictures.  

Any suggestions?
22 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Roku Mobile App/ screensaver not working correctly

I am currently having the same issue.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I have been having the same problem with my Roku Ultra since I purchased it two years ago. When I try to add or remove photos using my mobile app, it always says "21 photos added...44% full" and refuses to add or move anything. I'm tired of looking at the same 21 photos and want to change them! 

thanks for your help!

Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for the note here. A few questions to help better understand the issue you're seeing: 

1. What type of mobile device are you using when trying to upload photos in the Roku Mobile app? (Android or iOS) 

2. What specific make/model is your phone? 

3. What version of Android or iOS is your mobile device running? 

4. What version of the Roku Mobile app do you have installed? 

5. Are your photos stored locally on your phone's internal storage, on an SD card inserted into your device, or in a cloud storage service such as Google Photos or iCloud? 

6. How big are the image files you are trying to add to use with the screensaver feature? 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It's still going on today. Glad to see Roku really cares about customer issues. It's not my photos, the size of them, the medium that I'm loading them from, etc. It's a broken function within either the app or the Roku or both. I've had 2 android phones from different manufacturers and the issue has been present with both using the app.

Roku 4400x crashes after uploading no more than about 20 photos. Then, when you go back into the app to load more, it will refuse to add any further photos. The app will crash after about 3-5 attempts of trying to load any further photos.

Please just get it fixed. This is such a simple function to have work correctly if you guys actually cared to look into it. This has been this way for me since I purchased it a couple of years ago. I left it alone for at least a year and when I wanted to load some new ones, same thing yet again. I have an SD card present in the device so it's not memory related either.

Seriously annoyed with how lax you guys have been in fixing this where other developers would have worked through this whether or not they viewed it as a priority issue. We're uploading photos to a device. It's not rocket surgery.
Highlighted
Level 8

Same here, and I've gotten the same stellar service from Roku as other users.

I opened a ticket in Feb. 2019. Since then it's been nonstop back-and-forth "we'll investigate and contact you by email", but no action whatsoever.

Now, I try to be fair and circumspect in my dealings, and I realize that the mobile screensaver is a perk, and not part of the core functionality of the Roku unit. If the feature was never there, no one would ever have missed it. Obviously we can all live with the malfunction, because we have been.

However, the fact of the matter is that the feature IS offered, and for better or worse that means that Roku has a responsibility to deal with the issue. The feature IS one of the things that sold me on buying the Ultra over one of the less expensive offerings.

At this point, the issue is less about the technical malfunction and more about the quality of Roku customer service - or lack thereof. 

When dealing with vendors in my professional life, I have learned that problems with products are inevitable - nothing is perfect, and anything can break. The key to customer satisfaction and customer loyalty is WHAT YOU DO ABOUT IT WHEN IT BREAKS!

Here Roku support has summarily failed. That's troubling, and not just for those who want to use mobile screen saver. It should worry any Roku customer, as it is an indication of the quality of their customer service in general.

Aside from the abject failure to address this specific problem, my impression is that the Roku support structure is designed specifically to dismiss customer support issues, rather than to address them. Here's why I say this:

You contact customer support with an issue. After some (necessary) troubleshooting attempts, the issue is still unresolved, and they tell you they'll have to get back to you (that's fine).

Then, you may or may not get an email asking if you are still experiencing the problem. (I had 3 separate chats with techs about this issue - each with its own ticket# - because the Roku chat client kept disconnecting. I only got this email for one of them) . Well of course I'm still experiencing the problem, because you haven't done anything about it yet! This is opportunity #1 to dismiss your ticket if you don't click the "Yes I'm still experiencing the problem" link. You click the appropriate link.

Then, you may get an automated reply with links to KB articles that some AI bot thinks may be relevant (your issue mentions the word "screen", so you get articles on screen mirroring, etc). Or you may get an inquiry for the same info you have already given, and you reply.

So you wait a while longer, as Roku support has promised to email you with a resolution. Eventually, you'll get This:

"It’s been a while since we've heard from you, so this automated message is here to remind you that we're looking forward to your response on the ticket you requested. If we don’t hear back from you in 3 days, well assume it’s safe to mark the ticket as resolved."

Wait - YOU'RE waiting for MY response? Here's opportunity #2 to dismiss my issue. According to every communication I have had with Roku, YOU'RE supposed to be contacting ME after your "team investigates". So you reply to that effect

Wait some more weeks... (Honest, ALL OF THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED!)

You get another "It's been a while" email.

Do you see a pattern here? The Roku system is deliberately set up to put the onus on THE CUSTOMER to keep the ticket alive (by continuing to have a problem!), rather than putting the onus on ROKU SUPPORT to solve it! Obviously the idea is that you'll eventually get sick and tired of responding to their inaction and go away, thus allowing them to "assume the issue is resolved", making it LOOK as if they have resolved all of their open tickets - even when there is no resolution beyond inaction.

As you can see, the Roku support ethos is "close the ticket" not "resolve the issue".

The ultimate irony of it all is that this issue never warranted the use of such deceptive and underhanded tactics! Mobile screensaver is a perk... a gimme... a bell-and-or-whistle. It wouldn't be an unforgivable business decision to say "You know what? This functionality isn't worth the development resources to fix, so we're no longer supporting it." That way you have a clear message that you can stand behind.

But Roku didn't do that.

Instead they have hidden behind a system designed to fail, and tactics more befitting a teenager than a successful consumer-oriented company.

Show me where I'm wrong... 

Highlighted
Level 7

That. I can’t even launch it anymore through the mobile app to try to delete or change out the very old pictures to newer ones. Mobile screensaver launches on the Roku for a few seconds and then it goes back to the home screen. The app either disconnects or just goes on like I never click on the screensaver function. Been this way for over a year. I try again when a new app or Roku update occurs. Never any change. 

Highlighted
Level 7

This happened to me for at least 2 years where anytime I opened the Roku app on my phone (any iPhone) and selected screensaver, it would crash. Within the last 6 months I updated the app and I’m able to actually see my photos for the screensaver, but it says 61% full cannot add photos, and there is no option to delete old photos. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku - are you working on a bug fix for this? I find it hard to believe that it's taking so long for dev to get this fix in. I have the latest version of Roku mobile app, IOS 7, etc, and only 1 photo saved at 1% full so that's not the issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@icamon26 @iriswiss 

Thanks for the note here. Could you please help answer a few additional questions to help better understand the issue you're seeing? Thsi will help us pass your observations along to our team to take a closer look. 

1. What type of mobile device are you using when trying to upload photos in the Roku Mobile app? (Android or iOS) 

2. What specific make/model is your phone? 

3. What version of Android or iOS is your mobile device running? 

4. What version of the Roku Mobile app do you have installed? 

5. Are your photos stored locally on your phone's internal storage, on an SD card inserted into your device, or in a cloud storage service such as Google Photos or iCloud? 

6. How big are the image files you are trying to add to use with the screensaver feature? If you try to add less images, is it then successful?

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos