Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeism
Streaming Star

Re: How to fix mobile app disconnecting from Roku device once phone locks

Jump to solution

Roku Mobile App version 6.0.15.304189
Moto Z3 phone
Android version 9 build PDXS29.84-42-3

So... various 3rd party Roku remote control apps keep their connection to the Roku TV indefinitely; however, the Roku Mobile app (from Roku) would disconnect at some point north of 5 minutes. After more testing on my device, I found that the Roku Mobile app disconnections were related to some app settings that can be modified.

Note that there are high level battery management settings that are configured by navigating to Settings / Battery.  On my phone, under Settings / Battery... I had 'battery saver' = off, and 'adaptive battery' = off. Thus, I thought all battery management/optimization was, well you know... completely 'off'.  I found that this was not true… there is a more granular battery management setting associated with each app (under Settings / Apps & Notifications) and that was ‘on’ by default. Here's how you get to that lower level app setting:

1. Go to Settings / Apps & Notifications
  2. Select 'Roku' from the apps list. If you haven't run the Roku app recently then you may need to expand the list of apps to see it.
  3. Select Advanced / Battery / Battery Optimization
  4. You'll now see a list of apps that are NOT 'battery optimized'.  The default is 'battery optimized' so the Roku app likely won't appear in the list.  Near the top right of the screen select the down arrow to change the app list from 'Not optimized' to 'All Apps'.
  5. Scroll down the list and select the Roku app.
  6. You'll see two battery management options for the app... 'Optimized', or 'Not Optimized'.
    In my case, when 'Optimized' is selected, the Roku Mobile app will disconnect soon after 5 minutes of phone inactivity. If 'Not Optimized' is selected the app stays connected indefinitely.

Not surprisingly, the phone battery drains quicker when 'Not Optimized' is selected.  You'll need to select the configuration that is best for your needs. 

Overall the Roku Mobile app (from Roku) is a nice app and I prefer it by a wide margin when compared to the other 3rd party Roku remote control apps I tried.

Roku App Keeps Disconnecting from Roku TV

Jump to solution

I have been using the Roku app for about a week and it keeps disconnecting from my TCL Roku TV even if I just used the app about 5 minutes ago. It is very annoying having to keep hit Connect before using the app. I only have one Roku device which is this Roku TV. How can I keep the app connected to the TV? I have an android LG Stylo 5 with android version 9. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Mobile App doesn't stay connected

Jump to solution

@mikeism Thanks for following up with your findings! I'm glad you were able to locate those specific settings on your phone to make the necessary adjustments. 

@Strawberries404  Take a look at the solution provided above. This is likely the same type of issue with your phone's settings that is causing the behavior. Making adjustments as noted above should help resolve the issue. 

Cheers,

Tanner

0 Kudos
SarahM13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@mikeism your post solved my problem!!! For months I've tried everything suggested remedy out there. This is the only long lasting solution. Thank you so much!! You saved me from a lot of frustration. 

0 Kudos
Hsanders

iOS not staying connected

Jump to solution

My remote stopped working and until I can get a new one I was trying to use the app remote. Some days it works other days it sees the device but disconnects some how and won’t repair. What the heck am I doing wrong. Is this an Apple thing? Please help. 

0 Kudos
JorgeNunez

Jump to solution

I think this is a great issue to bring up. I’m having the same issue on my iOS 11 Pro Max. The reason I say it’s a great issue that should be brought up is because the purpose of the app I feel is to make it easier. I have the Roku app on my Apple Watch but it’s useless if I have to keep connecting my phone to the only smart tv in my room. So why even have the watchOS app when I have to use my phone to get it to work. If there’s a way to make this where it can stay connected to your tv that would be great lol because I would like to be able to turn on my tv without waiting 30 seconds 

Jump to solution

Just a thought: if you scroll down in Settings until you find the Roku App could you disable Allow Cellular Data? That way you could force the app to only go through your WiFi network and therefore it may stay connected better to your Roku device. Sometimes cellphones will use a little bit of cellular data at home to optimize the user experience and maybe this is disconnecting the app and the Roku device. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BaggieTheCat wrote:

Just a thought: if you scroll down in Settings until you find the Roku App could you disable Allow Cellular Data? That way you could force the app to only go through your WiFi network and therefore it may stay connected better to your Roku device. Sometimes cellphones will use a little bit of cellular data at home to optimize the user experience and maybe this is disconnecting the app and the Roku device. 

The Roku app will not connect to any Roku devices over a cellular connection. Both the phone and the Roku must be on the same network, or the Roku can't be viewed. And the network connection must be using an IP address range that is labeled private. That means 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, or a couple of other limited ranges. The cellular connection will never use an IP address in those ranges, and your Roku will not be visible via cellular. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This "solution" doesn't solve the problem on my android phone.

0 Kudos
Via_CNC

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, randomly disconnects, sometimes causes my phone to disconnect momentarily from wifi (I'm blaming this app because my phone only disconnects from wifi while using roku app, and it happens a lot while using roku app).

I'm using a Samsung galaxy S8

All battery optimization is off for this app

It's random (ranging from seconds after reconnecting to 20 minutes, that I've recorded)

It's the same plugged into the charger as well as unplugged 

Does the same with two different roku boxes on the network (Roku ultra & TCL roku TV)

Phone was placed on the table for today's troubleshooting with all same results.

Is very frustrating. Any other ideas? 

0 Kudos