Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StrawHatCrew
Visitor

How to fix mobile app disconnecting from Roku device once phone locks

Jump to solution

My Roku Mobile App will only stay connected to my Roku until my phone locks. I constantly have to reconnect. Is there anyone else experiencing and is there a fix? My phone I am using it on is an android.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikeism
Streaming Star

Re: How to fix mobile app disconnecting from Roku device once phone locks

Jump to solution

Roku Mobile App version 6.0.15.304189
Moto Z3 phone
Android version 9 build PDXS29.84-42-3

So... various 3rd party Roku remote control apps keep their connection to the Roku TV indefinitely; however, the Roku Mobile app (from Roku) would disconnect at some point north of 5 minutes. After more testing on my device, I found that the Roku Mobile app disconnections were related to some app settings that can be modified.

Note that there are high level battery management settings that are configured by navigating to Settings / Battery.  On my phone, under Settings / Battery... I had 'battery saver' = off, and 'adaptive battery' = off. Thus, I thought all battery management/optimization was, well you know... completely 'off'.  I found that this was not true… there is a more granular battery management setting associated with each app (under Settings / Apps & Notifications) and that was ‘on’ by default. Here's how you get to that lower level app setting:

1. Go to Settings / Apps & Notifications
  2. Select 'Roku' from the apps list. If you haven't run the Roku app recently then you may need to expand the list of apps to see it.
  3. Select Advanced / Battery / Battery Optimization
  4. You'll now see a list of apps that are NOT 'battery optimized'.  The default is 'battery optimized' so the Roku app likely won't appear in the list.  Near the top right of the screen select the down arrow to change the app list from 'Not optimized' to 'All Apps'.
  5. Scroll down the list and select the Roku app.
  6. You'll see two battery management options for the app... 'Optimized', or 'Not Optimized'.
    In my case, when 'Optimized' is selected, the Roku Mobile app will disconnect soon after 5 minutes of phone inactivity. If 'Not Optimized' is selected the app stays connected indefinitely.

Not surprisingly, the phone battery drains quicker when 'Not Optimized' is selected.  You'll need to select the configuration that is best for your needs. 

Overall the Roku Mobile app (from Roku) is a nice app and I prefer it by a wide margin when compared to the other 3rd party Roku remote control apps I tried.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
justkimba

Re: Roku Mobile App doesn't stay connected

Jump to solution
I came across your post while searching the same issue. Still searching for a resolution.
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for the notes. Please include more details about your current setup, and configuration so we can help take a closer look. 

- What make/model of Android device are you using? 

- What version of Android OS is it running? 

- What specific version of the Roku mobile app do you have installed? 

- Have you double checked your Android device's settings to see if you have any data saving or power saving features enabled that may be constricting app data/usage whenever your screen is locked or the phone in inactive? (These types of features may impact the functionality of any app. )

With more information, we can try to help provide further assistance. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I don't have an Android phone any longer, but I don't recall that problem with a Galaxy S8. And the iOS app is fine as well. Wondering if there's a setting in Android that only allows the app network access when opened. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Erparus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
I came across this post when having the same issue.
Up to date Google pixel 3 xl, spectrum wifi with great signal, Roku model number 8624X (Phillips Roku TV,) running 9.2.04129.

I have no battery settings that should infere. Ive been booted out of the remote screen in the app before, and when going back it suddenly shows me the connect button again and can't find the Roku. Or, if it displays the Roku in grey, I select it and it just times out while trying to 'wake up roku.' the ONLY work around I've found is to restart my wifi module and try again. It's getting worse by the day and I'm sick of having to jump through hoops to connect to it! Really really hoping for a solution !!!
0 Kudos
mikeism
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Roku Mobile App version 6.0.15.304189
Moto Z3 phone
Android version 9 build PDXS29.84-42-3

The Roku mobile app disconnects when my phone is inactive for more than a minute or so.  Then, when I open the app, the 'Connect' button is active and I have to go through the process of reconnecting the mobile app to my TCL series 6 TV.  The mobile app disconnect is not random; it happens every time the phone is idle for a short period of time.  PITA.

Question to Roku developers... is this behavior by design, or is this a problem that you are trying to resolve?  I hope you are trying to fix it.

Tags (1)
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@mikeism @Erparus 

Thanks for the notes here. I am not able to reproduce this issue when testing on my Android device (LG model), which leads me to think there may be other factors involved here related to power management settings or features on your specific devices. 

Have you double checked your Android phone's settings to see if you have any data saving or power saving features enabled that may be constricting app data/usage whenever your screen is locked, or when the phone in inactive? (These types of features may impact the functionality of any app. ) For instance, In Settings>General>Power on my phone, I have a 'Battery saver' section that allows me to configure different levels of battery saving functionality, including restricting the operation or data usage of apps running in the background, or when my phone screen is locked. 

I might recommend looking into those types of settings a bit more to see if you can resolve the issue. Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
mikeism
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback Tanner...

A few more notes from further testing...

When I am NOT charging the Moto Z3:     The mobile app continues to disconnect.  It disconnects from the Roku server on the TCL TV and it disconnects from the Roku server on the Roku soundbar that I purchased yesterday.

When I am charging the Moto Z3 phone:   The Roku Mobile app never disconnects from the TV nor from the Roku soundbar. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for following up.

There isn't a server connection made when you connect to your device using the Roku mobile app—the connection is a local connection directly to your mobile device via the wireless network that both devices are connected to. What this behavior indicates, is that your phone is somehow severing the active wireless connection when it is running on battery power.

I would recommend contacting your wireless carrier or phone manufacturer's support and inquiring further to see what settings you may be able to adjust to prevent this from happening. This typically relates to a power management setting that aims to preserve battery life on some mobile devices. 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
mikeism
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Previously, I installed a different Roku remote app from the Android store and that app did not exhibit the disconnect like the Roku Mobile app.  The other app used wifi as well.  I'm going contact Roku tech support.  Will update here later if I find something useful. 

0 Kudos