Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subwilms
Level 8

Roku Mobile App Connection Error?

Hi friends,
I recently got a new Roku TV in my college dorm, and I have to connect it to the school's IOT wifi because that's just how it is. My phone connects to a different network. I was able to manually enter its IP in the Roku App and could connect and remote listen for about a week but then it just stopped working.

How can I fix this or is there any other way to remote listen without being connected to the same wifi network as the TV?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku Mobile App Connection Error?

I doubt you can do anything to resolve it. The college likely has a security feature that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. And in your scenario, that's a good security feature to have, so don't expect the school to disable it. Your only option would be to set up a private network of your own, that you have sole control over. I did that when staying in a hotel for 4 months. I used Windows Internet Connection Sharing to connect to the hotel's WiFi and connected a router (in access point mode) to the computer's Ethernet connection and had my own private network. I connected all my devices to my access point, which allowed my devices to see each other but I was shielded from any other hotel guests. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos