Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subwilms
Reel Rookie

Roku Mobile App Connection Error?

Hi friends,
I recently got a new Roku TV in my college dorm, and I have to connect it to the school's IOT wifi because that's just how it is. My phone connects to a different network. I was able to manually enter its IP in the Roku App and could connect and remote listen for about a week but then it just stopped working.

How can I fix this or is there any other way to remote listen without being connected to the same wifi network as the TV?

1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Mobile App Connection Error?

I doubt you can do anything to resolve it. The college likely has a security feature that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. And in your scenario, that's a good security feature to have, so don't expect the school to disable it. Your only option would be to set up a private network of your own, that you have sole control over. I did that when staying in a hotel for 4 months. I used Windows Internet Connection Sharing to connect to the hotel's WiFi and connected a router (in access point mode) to the computer's Ethernet connection and had my own private network. I connected all my devices to my access point, which allowed my devices to see each other but I was shielded from any other hotel guests. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos