Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku App won't connect on "public" wireless network

You are someone who completely understands the rules and security issues of an open IP network. Almost no one else who buys and uses a Roku understands anything about networking, and these are the core customers for Roku. You want them to allow something that has security issues for people who have no idea what those might be. Sorry, but I side with Roku on this matter. There are just too many "bad" people out there that constantly scan for device vulnerabilities. No reason to provide them with an opening.
I'm quite sure you have your reasons, but I don't see any to have pubic IP addresses on a private network. When I assumed network admin duties for a medical office that merged with the one I already ran, I discovered they were using public IP addresses, and they weren't registered. Some brain just decided it was OK to use them. Took me about a month to redo the whole thing.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 8

Using an unregistered IP address block is dumb, I'll agree. That's why I'm not doing that.

And as for why I don't change to an RFC 1918 block: you said it yourself, in that it took a lot of effort to change everything. I'm not willing to go through that just because some application developer thinks I should. It's my network, not Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 11

"jmaynard" wrote:
Using an unregistered IP address block is dumb, I'll agree. That's why I'm not doing that.

And as for why I don't change to an RFC 1918 block: you said it yourself, in that it took a lot of effort to change everything. I'm not willing to go through that just because some application developer thinks I should. It's my network, not Roku's.

Yes, but if you want to use Roku's simplistic, made-for-the-masses device, you'll probably have to. Not saying it's good, bad, or right, just the way it is. 
0 Kudos
Level 12

"jmaynard" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
  It's appropriate what they are doing since, generally speaking, a roku shouldn't have a publicly routable IP address.  

You don't have to have an RFC 1918 address in order not to be publicly routable. My address block has no RIP advertisements anywhere on the Internet. Anyone who tries routing to it will get "not reachable".
And what does the app scan? All of the RFC 1918 space? Or just the subnet the phone is on? Someone taking their phone to another place where a Roku box is connected will find that one?
Like I said...paternalistic attitude. Don't tell me you know how I should administer my network. "Be liberal in what you accept, be conservative in what you do" is a fundamental principle of the Internet. That goes for letting people set things up.

Yes, taking your app to any house with a Roku will find it if they are on the same subnet.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

JMaynard, you don't know what you are talking about. I have a VALID IP address (not 10.x.x or the other two). I have dozens of nodes on my network and chose to use something different than 10.0.x.x. It is NOT public and can never be due to NAT. Why should I change 20+ devices, my DHCP and everything else to use one remote control app. It makes no sense. Roku users are more advanced than ChromeCast or AppleTV. Anyhow, Roku, please fix this.
Highlighted
Level 19

"stevegon" wrote:
JMaynard, you don't know what you are talking about. I have a VALID IP address (not 10.x.x or the other two). I have dozens of nodes on my network and chose to use something different than 10.0.x.x. It is NOT public and can never be due to NAT. Why should I change 20+ devices, my DHCP and everything else to use one remote control app. It makes no sense. Roku users are more advanced than ChromeCast or AppleTV. Anyhow, Roku, please fix this.

If you aren't using an address range from RFC 1918 that is designated as private (meaning it starts with 192., 172 or 10), then you are using a public address. Yes, behind NAT it is not actually "public", but you are still using an address range designated for public use on the Internet. While you may not have yet, and may never encounter a connectivity issue, you are not in compliance with standards. Just because you decide not to comply is no reason for Roku to change their functionality. There's nothing broken, so there's nothing to fix.
By using an address range that is within the public assignments, you run the risk of your packets potentially being routed across the Internet. Using the addresses listed in RFC 1918, this can't happen, because those addresses are not permitted to cross a public router. Any sort of breach of your firewall potentially opens your entire network to the Internet. That alone should be reason enough to alter your address assignments.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My private network uses 192.168.5.x, and I am getting the "IP address not supported" message. I think maybe the app is checking for 192.168.0.x instead of 192.168.x.x. I wish there was a workaround for this.
Highlighted
Level 19

"fribbit" wrote:
My private network uses 192.168.5.x, and I am getting the "IP address not supported" message. I think maybe the app is checking for 192.168.0.x instead of 192.168.x.x. I wish there was a workaround for this.

That is still considered a private IP address (as is any 192.168.x.x address). But if the app on your device (is it iOS or Android?) is reporting that, then either the app developer or the Roku engineers have hard coded the permissible address range incorrectly. Hard to say which one messed up. 
Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I found a way to use the remote with this issue ( i have it too ). You click on the remote button at the bottom of the roku channel bar and wait until your tv shows up, close out of the ip address not supported thing and immediately click ur tv in the background. It will connect just click the remote button again
Highlighted
Level 7

I get this too. The Roku is at 192.168.1.174. So the message is bull**bleep**. Very strange.

0 Kudos