Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeeJay1502
Level 7

Roku App Can't Manually Connect to Roku Ultra (4)

I've recently started having problems using my app to connect to my roku. It used to work fine but hasn't worked in 2 months or so.
I'm in a college dorm, so the set up is weird. I have my roku connected via Ethernet, but the Ethernet network is different than the wireless network so I have to manually enter the IP of my roku into the app.
It worked perfectly at one time. My IP is within the public domain (172.24.xx.xxx), but when I type it into the app it displays an error message "Connection Error: Can't connect to {Roku's name}. Try again."
Any ideas on why it simply won't work anymore?
Interestingly enough, remoku.tv works when I type the IP into there.
And yes, the college allows it. Others in my dorm have their rokus set up and connected with their apps, so it's something either specifically with my app or with my roku.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku App Can't Manually Connect to Roku Ultra (4)

"TeeJay1502" wrote:
I've recently started having problems using my app to connect to my roku. It used to work fine but hasn't worked in 2 months or so.
I'm in a college dorm, so the set up is weird. I have my roku connected via Ethernet, but the Ethernet network is different than the wireless network so I have to manually enter the IP of my roku into the app.
It worked perfectly at one time. My IP is within the public domain (172.24.xx.xxx), but when I type it into the app it displays an error message "Connection Error: Can't connect to {Roku's name}. Try again."
Any ideas on why it simply won't work anymore?
Interestingly enough, remoku.tv works when I type the IP into there.
And yes, the college allows it. Others in my dorm have their rokus set up and connected with their apps, so it's something either specifically with my app or with my roku.

That IP address range is private, not public. If your IP address range on the wireless differs from the wired range, AND they don't have their routers configured to make them appear as the same network, then yes I can see an issue. I believe remote access is controlled to require the remote device to be on the same network. I had never heard of remoku.tv, but I see it's web based and likely uses different protocols to connect to the Roku than the official app. I have three active Rokus on my network, and remoku.tv hasn't found any of them via scanning. But I could enter the IP address of one of them and control it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TeeJay1502
Level 7

Okay. But still. I used to be able to use it both here and at home.
Now, I can't do it here OR at home. But other people in my dorm have the exact same roku and they can connect manually via the app just fine.
There's something either wrong with my roku or my phone or both and id like to figure out what. I miss being able to private listen using my phone and avoiding draining my roku remote battery.
================
Update:
I tried it off a different device and works so it's definetly my phone.
It's a Samsung Galaxy S8.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I was going to say it sounds like a device issue. Glad you've isolated it to the phone. Perhaps remove the app from the Samsung, reboot the phone (don't know if that's necessary, but never hurts), then install it again. I have an S8, and just tested it here. It sees all three of my Roku players/TVs that are currently on the network. So hopefully a reinstall will fix it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TeeJay1502
Level 7

Reinstallation and reboot didn't work. Still shows the connection error.
0 Kudos