Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed Expert Settings from mobile app

This is really lame.

My Roku TV looked a lot better when I could change the expert settings on the app for noise reduction, gamma, ect. Roku apparently made it so the app no longer recognizes my TV, according to the e-mail reply I got from them. Absolute nonsense. Now I know not to buy any Roku products in the future, lest they disable necessarily functions to try and get me to buy something more expensive. Expert Settings should be included on the TV itself, they at least had an app to let you change the settings but they removed access to it to all non-4k TV sets. Trash.

https://support.roku.com/article/217786 ... r-roku-tv-

They still have this on their site, even though expert settings has been disabled on all non-4k TV sets for no reason. Serious BS. Now I need a new TV, thanks Roku, I know who I won't be buying it from.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Boz
Level 10

Re: Removed Expert Settings from mobile app

I wonder why more people haven't posted about this issue?
0 Kudos

Yeah me too. This actually happened a couple months ago, I didn't mind at first but I bought an Xbox One and it looks terrible on the screen because of the gamma and noise reduction settings, which I can no longer change. Also white balance settings, ect, all of the expert settings got removed from the app except for 4K tv sets, ridiculous, very very very lame.

I e-mailed support and was told they removed expert settings for non-4K tvs. I can paste the e-mail if anyone wants it. Total BS, total total total nonsense, I regret buying this TV now.

They have so many apps for the TV, but somehow, not a single one to change what was included in the 'expert settings;. Seriously, it's ridiculous. It's not a very smart TV if you can't even change the settings, I'll probably just drop this thing off at a pawnshop and at least get a few dollars back.

Anyone looking to buy a Roku TV, I seriously wouldn't recommend it, they'll probably disable settings on 4k TV sets once something new comes along, and then you'll be screwed like I am. Unless they 'fix' this.

Considering it's the actual Roku software as opposed to the manufacturer software, you're much better off getting a regular non-Roku TV with actual settings that TV sets have included for decades. Every TV I've ever seen or owned included these settings on the actual TV, silly enough to include them in an app, but then they remove it from the App, but only for non 4K tv sets? Wow. Come on. I gave these people my money and they screwed me. As it turns out, they recently added 'accessibility' options to the settings menu, so obviously they could include these 'expert settings' if they had the mind to. They disabled these settings arbitrarily, and now only include them on more expensive hardware, No, that's totally ridiculous. A big middle finger to anyone who bought any Roku product before they decided to start churning out 4K sets. It's a shame too, cause I quite liked the TV, but I can't take this thing seriously or hook anything up to it when it doesn't even include these settings, they are necessary, that's why every single other TV on the market includes them built into the TV.

Can something please be done about this? Restore the settings?
0 Kudos

I'd like to let Roku know that until I purchase a new TV (most probably not anything associated with Roku) I am going to be e-mailing support and posting on the forums on a daily basis until the Expert Settings are restored on the Roku app.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Wow that's unfortunate, did this coincide with the rollout of Roku OS 8 or something?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"pontiffholychurch" wrote:
I'd like to let Roku know that until I purchase a new TV (most probably not anything associated with Roku) I am going to be e-mailing support and posting on the forums on a daily basis until the Expert Settings are restored on the Roku app.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos

"beq" wrote:
Wow that's unfortunate, did this coincide with the rollout of Roku OS 8 or something?

Not sure exactly. Interestingly Roku still includes how to use the expert settings on their support website even though it's been removed from the app except for 4k sets.
It's just some major BS. I spent money on this thing and they removed the settings that have been included on practically every TV set for the past decade, seemingly for no reason,  it's not as if the expert settings didn't work, they worked fine.
A few of the image processing options like noise reduction and a few others are enabled by default and cannot be changed without using the expert settings. The included 'game mode' setting on the TV itself doesn't seem to actually do anything what so ever.

I thought Roku tv's were tv's with Roku built into them but apparently they're actually Roku sticks with a screen built into them instead, useless junk. fu roku.
0 Kudos