Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Remote app keeps crashing

No matter what I do, turning phone off and on, deleting and reinstalling the app, no matter how many times I try... the app just continues to crash. It doesn’t even make it to the home screen. I try to open it, it opens the loading screen for a second or 2 and then crashes before it’s even opened. 

Labels (3)
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

roku android app crashes

The Roku app on my android phone has started crashing.  This started about two weeks ago.  I have two Rokus.  In my office I have a recent Roku Express feeding a DVI monitor using an HDMI->DVI cable.  I've been getting sound through the android app on my phone, but now that fails.  I tried an HDMI sound extractor to a separate amplifier, but that doesn't work.  I can get sound but the video has a magenta background.  Or I can get proper video, but no sound.
The other system is a new Roku Ultra in the living room with an HDMI HD TV and a sound extractor feeding a better amp and speakers than in the TV.  It all works fine.
I have rebooted the Roku and the phone.  Until I get a real HDMI monitor or TV, I have only the Roku android app to provide me with sound, so I'm dead in the water.  How do I fix this?

Highlighted
Level 13

Re: roku android app crashes

You've rebooted the Roku and the phone.. have you tried uninstalling the Roku app from the phone and reinstalling it?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, I did, but when I reinstalled, it just restored it from the trash.  This time, I purged the trash and reinstalled it.  Now it works.  Thanks for the clue.  The developer for the app must have come from Microserf.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Remote app keeps crashing

I have almost same issue. I installed/uninstalled/installed and Roku stuck at purple screen. you tried to add the TV but the screen that says tap is not working. This started happening after recent upgrade. any developer working on it?

I use iphone8 plus. 

Highlighted
Level 7

I’m also using an 8plus. The app worked when I originally downloaded it and I had it connected to my tv. I deleted the app as I was no longer using it, and since the reinstallation it crashes on the purple screen every time. 

Highlighted
Level 8

I have the same issue running samsung s8 plus. app crashes the first attempt to run it, but on second attempt it works.

this is consistent 1st time fail 2nd runs. I've cleared cache, uninstall/reinstall. restart the phone. nothing seems to fix this issue.

Highlighted
Level 7

Try this on two different phones and it's crashing every time we tap to connect to devices. Crashes immediately. Have uninstalled or installed multiple times and rebooted the phone. I cannot use the Roku TV at all because we can't turn it on because the crashing app.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This started happening to my phone yesterday. My phone is brand new 8 months... it worked fine up until yesterday. My wifi router, my wifi, my settings, my Uninstall and install hasn't made a difference. It is all Roku and 3rd party Roku apps. It opens to Roku purple screen and before it can connect it disappears! What happened Roku?

Please fix!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Did you ever find a fix for this

0 Kudos