Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smokindog
Level 8

ROKU Windows10 App

I want to install the ROKU app for Windows 10 so I can use the built in soft remote.  I have the TV in my office fed via splitter from the bedroom.

Unfortunately the app is on the Microsoft Store and something has changed that requires a MS account to access the store.  I'm sure it was in one of the seemingly every other week downloads that MS forces us to take that changes settings and how thing work, but I digress....

Does anyone know how to download the ROKU app for windows 10 without a MS account?  I have the app on a laptop that I got previously (before the account requirement) and it works well.

Yes, I know the smartphone and tablet apps also have this feature but I don't always have them in my office.  I always have my office desktop when I'm in my office Smiley Happy

I had a chat session with ROKU tech support and they were useless, said the app did not exist.....
Thanks!
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: ROKU Windows10 App

You know how Apple requires an account to download from their App stores? Asking the app owner is useless as Apple owns the store and controls the rules for that. 

You know how Google requires an account to download from the Google Play store? Asking the app owner is useless as Google owns the store and controls the rules for that. 

You see where this is going, right? You need to talk to Microsoft.

You do not need to explain to me or anyone why you don't want to create a Microsoft account. But without one, you're SOL when it comes to downloading from the Microsoft store. You have a decision to make about which not getting you're way you're going to have.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
You know how Apple requires an account to download from their App stores? Asking the app owner is useless as Apple owns the store and controls the rules for that. 

You know how Google requires an account to download from the Google Play store? Asking the app owner is useless as Google owns the store and controls the rules for that. 

You do not need to explain to me or anyone why you don't want to create a Microsoft account. But without one, you're SOL when it comes to downloading from the Microsoft store. You have a decision to make about which not getting you're way you're going to have.

One of the least helpful responses I've ever received.  As I stated, I was looking to see if there was an alternative source or possibly a way to copy the app from the laptop where I do have it installed.  As you can see where this is going, let's try to stay on topic and focus on the questions here captain obvious.  BTW, ROKU owns and publishes the app to the store, just like Apple and Google.
0 Kudos

"Smokindog" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

One of the least helpful responses I've ever received.  As I stated, I was looking to see if there was an alternative source or possibly a way to copy the app from the laptop where I do have it installed.  As you can see where this is going, let's try to stay on topic and focus on the questions here captain obvious.  BTW, ROKU owns and publishes the app to the store, just like Apple and Google.

Basil's response may have been a little heavy on the snark. But cut through that, and it's entirely truthful, and the only answer you'll get on this one.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The short answer is no, there's no way to copy a app that is normally only available via a app store. If you are talking about Android apps, yes there are usually paths to do so. But as mentioned, in the Apple and Microsoft worlds, whats available in the stores are usually only found there. That's not to say that someone doesn't have a bogus copy out there, but I would be seriously concerned installing something like that as you have no assurance it hasn't been altered with a virus or something. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Smokindog" wrote:

Your not liking my response in no way diminishes the truth of what I said.

Yes, Roku publishes apps to Microsoft, Google, and Apple stores. But Roku can’t help you get around the requirements of those stores.

You expect Roku to help you add something to your Apple product without following Apple’s store rules?

You expect Roku to help you add something to your Google/Android product without following Google’s store rules?

If you answered “yes,” reset your expectations. If you answered “no,” then you’ve answered in regards to Microsoft store items.

Microsoft has laid out the rules for the store. Follow the rules and get the app, or don’t follow the rules and don’t get the app. Your choice.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos

Just start a outlook account and don't use it for nothing other than the store.

Edit: Is your PC up to date on 1803? The PC I'm on is linked to a Microsoft account(Windows Insider), but the W10 PC in my other room is not, and it just let me download the Roku app . It will ask you to sign in to link account to link across devices, you just click no and it will download.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
"Smokindog" wrote:

Yes, Roku publishes apps to Microsoft, Google, and Apple stores. But Roku can’t help you get around the requirements of those stores.

You expect Roku to help you add something to your Apple product without following Apple’s store rules?

You expect Roku to help you add something to your Google/Android product without following Google’s store rules?

If you answered “yes,” reset your expectations. If you answered “no,” then you’ve answered in regards to Microsoft store items.

Microsoft has laid out the rules for the store. Follow the rules and get the app, or don’t follow the rules and don’t get the app. Your choice.

You fail to get the point that unlike Apple and Google devices, Windows does not have a single "legitimate" source for programs therefore making your comments useless.
Nice try Captain Obvious.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

"Basil" wrote:
"Smokindog" wrote:

You fail to get the point that unlike Apple and Google devices, Windows does not have a single "legitimate" source for programs therefore making your comments useless and irrelevant AGAIN.
Nice try Captain Obvious.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

"drjekel_mrhyde" wrote:
Just start a outlook account and don't use it for nothing other than the store.

Edit: Is your PC up to date on 1803? The PC I'm on is linked to a Microsoft account(Windows Insider), but the W10 PC in my other room is not, and it just let me download the Roku app . It will ask you to sign in to link account to link across devices, you just click no and it will download.

Ya, my machines are updated. Thanks for confirming it was a recent change.  I get the idea of the dummy account but I've found that linking to a MS account seems to grow through your system like a cancer.  I try to avoid MS account linking at all costs.
Thanks again!
0 Kudos