Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miss_Uma
Level 7

ROKU APP keeps losing internet connection

I've been using the Roku app from the Google Play Store on my Verizon Android phone for a long time, but have in the past few days noticed that the app keeps losing connection with my router.

I have tried trouble shooting ideas from the Roku website, but nothing is helping. I've unplugged my router, unplugged the Roku streaming stick (I have Roku Express), unplugged my modem (to reboot everything), and uninstalled and re-installed the Roku app. I've also shut down and re-started my phone. I've also tried moving the router to different spots in the room to improve the signal.

Additional info:
- Wireless Netgear Router
- Roku Express model 3700X
- Software version 8.1.0 build 4155-28

What should I do???

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: ROKU APP keeps losing internet connection

You mentioned both a Roku Stick and a Roku Express. You only listed the model number for the Roku Express. Is your Stick working fine, just the Express with the issue? Or are you having issues with both your Stick (let us know which model number) and your Express.

And, when the app loses connectivity, have you tried grabbing the remote for your Sick or Express (whichever you happen to be watching at the time) and checking the network connectivity via the menu? I'm wondering if the Roku device with the issue is losing network connectivity. Of course, if it's the Stick with the issue, I'll suggest that it's not, as the Stick remote uses WiFi Direct, while the Express uses IR. 
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Miss_Uma
Level 7

Thanks for responding! Last night, the app finally started working without losing the internet connection! Right before reading your reply, I figured that I'd try some trouble shooting steps again, and it seems to have done the trick. I have the Roku Express, by the way, not the Stick. Sorry for the mix-up!

Anyway, I decided to try rebooting everything again by unplugging, then replugging the Roku Express, my modem, and my router. I also deleted and re-installed the Roku remote app. So far so good!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Glad to hear it's working.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Miss_Uma
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
Glad to hear it's working.

Yeah, the only thing is that in the past day, it started losing the connection a few more times again. Right now the signal seems to fine. Why do you think this is still happening? I usually have to open, then close the Roku app several times when it loses the connection. After opening, closing, then re-opening it a few times, it behaves fine. I'm wondering if this is going to keep happening.

By the way, I have checked and found that my Roku Express has an excellent strength connection to my Netgear Router, and the phone I have the Roku app installed is connected to the same router when I check my phone's internet connection.

What do you think it causing this issue? Is there something wrong with the app itself? I always dowload the newest Roku app updates for my phone. And also check updates for the Roku Express.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

It may indeed be the app. I rarely use the app, but have found that the Android version works better than the iOS version. Normally, I would suggest removing the app from the phone, then re-downloading it from the Google Play store, but you did that early on. As long as your phone and Roku are on the same network -- not one on the primary and one on the guest network, if there is one -- it should just work.

Maybe someone on the forum else has an idea?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
DianaGail
Level 7

I'm having the same issue with both my regular Roku 2 XDs, both of which have been working great for years.

Two days ago, my DIL accidentally pulled the internet cable from the wall.      Ever since replugging this cable, Roku needs to be manually reconnected to internet whenever I activate it.   Previously, all I needed to do was hit OK and device connected.

Roku will also then later lose the connection after about 30-40 minutes of streaming which requires I leave movie, go to settings to  reconnect yet again.   Happens with both devices.  

My laptop seems to be OK holding the connection but, today when I opened Firefox, it said server not found.  I then tried one of my bookmarks and Firefox connected.    So, I think some connectivity was broken when that cable was pulled from the wall.

Do I need to get my internet people out here?   (I've probably answered my own question.)

Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"DianaGail" wrote:

Two days ago, my DIL accidentally pulled the internet cable from the wall.      Ever since replugging this cable, Roku needs to be manually reconnected to internet whenever I activate it.   

Yep, I think you've answered your question. When the cable was "pulled", it's possible that there's an intermittent internal connection within the cable. The cable probably needs replacing. 
Along with those ancient 2 XDs.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Miss_Uma
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
It may indeed be the app. I rarely use the app, but have found that the Android version works better than the iOS version. Normally, I would suggest removing the app from the phone, then re-downloading it from the Google Play store, but you did that early on. As long as your phone and Roku are on the same network -- not one on the primary and one on the guest network, if there is one -- it should just work.

I think you're right -- it's probably the app. Is there a chance that the app will be fixed? Have you heard other people making complaints about it?
0 Kudos
Miss_Uma
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:

UPDATE: The Roku remote app is finally behaving itself! I downloaded the most recent update of the app a few days ago and watched to see if it would make any difference, and it looks like the update fixed the problem.
0 Kudos