Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmj125
Channel Surfer

Private listening disconnects when you start playing a YouTube video on the device

Playing a YouTube video or starting a song on the private listening device while it's activated causes the tv to disconnect from private listening. This doesn't happen for other types of audio played from other apps like instagram. The app used to just pause whatever is playing on the Roku device but maintain the private listening connection, but this has changed with recent updates.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Private listening disconnects when you start playing a YouTube video on the device

@mmj125

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-mobile device brand, model, OS, and app version
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mmj125
Channel Surfer

Re: Private listening disconnects when you start playing a YouTube video on the device

1. I'm using Roku built in to a sharp tv, model 7201X, serial YN00MR562393, device ID 9G479M562393, software version 11.0.0 build 4193-38

2. This occurs on 3 different phones I have ranging from android 10 to 12, oneplus, LG, and essential

3. This occurs on every channel I've tried. YouTube would be a good example.

4. ID 93-321-271

5. Activate private listening, play any video, open YouTube or Twitter (but not instagram) on the device the private listening audio is being streamed to, play a video there, and the video playing on the Roku device will pause (as expected) but private listening will also disconnect 

0 Kudos
mmj125
Channel Surfer

It's been a month. How hard is this to fix. It worked fine a few months ago.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I've not had this problem on my Samsung Android phones, so it apparently is not systemic on all Androids.

Have you tried uninstalling the Roku app from the mobile device, (after uninstalling an app I always then restart the mobile device for good measure), then reinstalling the app?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mmj125
Channel Surfer

Tried uninstalling, same problem.

What version of Android is your Samsung on? As I mentioned I've tried this on 3 different phones ringing from android 10-12, all have the same issue. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@mmj125-

Mine is an unlocked Samsung Galaxy E42 5G, Android 12, Verizon account

I wonder if this is peculiar to the Sharp Roku TV.  All my tests were with my Streaming Stick 4K+ connected to a non-Roku Samsung TV.

I'm away from home right now.  When I get back I'll try to remember to test on my TCL Roku TV.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@mmj125-

Tried this on my TCL Roku TV:

• Enabled remote listening via the Roku app on my phone
  • Went into Discovery+ and watched a couple of minutes of a video
  • Exited back to Roku home screen
  • Loaded YouTube
  • Watched a video of Robin Williams on Craig Ferguson's old Late Late Show

No problem, the remote listening never faltered.

0 Kudos
mmj125
Channel Surfer

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. Play a video on YouTube or any channel on the Roku device with private listening activated and then play a video on the device you're streaming audio to, ie. The phone where private listening is activated. When the audio starts playing on the phone it will pause the video on the Roku device and disconnect private listening.

0 Kudos