Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aramisfirefly
Level 7

Private Listening mode makes video/audio stutter

Hello

I bought a Roku Express today and I got it all setup wonderfully. No issues with streaming and the iPhone app works well.

The only issue I have is when I use the Roku app on my iPhone 8 and enable Private Listening, the video and audio starts to stutter every 5 seconds or so, and the video pauses briefly. When I turn off Private Listening, everything returns to normal.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
SteelgearX
Level 7

Re: Private Listening mode makes video/audio stutter

I'm having the same issue. Stuttering audio, but my video seems to be ok. It's driving me crazy. Please help.
lesmikesell
Level 13

It's probably your wifi being 'not quite' able to carry both the streaming content and send the audio to the phone at the same time.  Mine seems to work better with the TV on 5Ggz wifi and the phone on 2.4Ghz but I'm not sure that is a complete solution and it probably depends on the contention from your neighbors.

Alitoh
Level 7

I’ve had my Roku for 2 or so years, with no clear solution to this. Two long years of **bleep**ty private listening and angry at the lack of solution or answer. This was it. This works. I moved my phone to 2.4ghz and it works perfectly.

On hindsight, it was the obvious issue (with 4K being the norm, now), but it’s still a **bleep** shame this answer only came on 2020.

anyways, I just wanted to thank you. If nothing else, you’ve given a random stranger great help and peace of mind with an explanation. Thank you.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Wifi is tricky so the same things may not work for everyone.   I'm not an expert on the subject but I thought it might give the router just a bit of extra bandwidth to be able to send to the TV on one channel and the phone on another.   In my case it also may have helped that I changed my 5Ghz channel SSID and only moved a few devices to it, leaving everything else in the house connected to the originally shared SSID which is now only the 2.4 Ghz side.  That way there should be less chance of conflict with the high-bandwidth stream going to the TV and it's returning audio channel.

0 Kudos
SenatorCharlie
Level 7

Try turning off wifi multimedia (wmm) on your router. Weighed for me after resetting all the settings I could find

0 Kudos