Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SiriuslySirius
Channel Surfer

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

I understand the concept of Wi-Fi signals and their hindrances. Most appliances, cordless phones, machinery, most anything electrical can cause issues...alas, none of these things are near the router, routers’ signal “lane/path/air space”, or near the TV. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

0 Kudos
CompuPaul
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
@lesmikesell If this happened randomly, I might be willing to accept this.  However, to consistently cut off after about 3 seconds sounds like a problem with the app (or device interaction).  Note that I can do private listening with a different mobile phone, that never cuts off.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I had some problems with disconnects initially, especially when streaming high quality video over wifi to the TV (playing the same from USB would be OK).   But after adjusting some things on my wifi router it has been very usable.   I used a wifi analyzer app to switch to channels with the least interference from neighbors on both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz ranges, gave the 5 Ghz side a different name, connected the TV to the 5 Ghz and my phone to the 2.4 Ghz side.   My router is one floor above the TV - I doubt if it would work as well through more than one wall or floor.

I do sometimes notice a slight glitch when switching to other apps on the phone like reading email.  Perhaps you can check your phone settings to see if you have other apps allowed to run in the background or explicitly close them.

0 Kudos
Llt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Turning off location all settings did not work for me either. Samsung Galaxy S9 to Roku TV

0 Kudos
AnkMe
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I had this problem with tcl 6 series roku smart tv and iOS Roku app. My private listening used to discount after every few minute. My router was upstairs and the tv is downstairs. Even with my old router upstairs I would get a strong wifi signal on other devices downstairs and even on roku tv downstairs while running the the tv’s network test. I switched to mesh router system and there is a WiFi access point in line of sight with the Roku tv. This solved the problem for me. I did not change my internet provider and did not upgrade the internet connection speed with my provider. I still sometimes get disconnected from the private listening but that is once a month or two. So it is not a problem for me anymore. This change to mesh router worked for me. It might or might not work for you depending on your specific reason for the disconnections. I just wanted to share this if upgrading to mesh router system or moving your WiFi router in line of sight of the tv is an option for you. Good luck ! 

0 Kudos
Llt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm exhausted searching for a solution.  Samsung Galaxy S9 to Roku TV. 

ROKU should really find a solution or maybe update app for Roku Remote at Play Store.  Customers should not be responsible for finding solution for private listening not working properly!

Roku has many competitors that would like to bump Roku down a couple notches! 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Keep in mind that the wifi connection goes to your router from both the phone and roku, not directly to each other - so distance and walls will be a factor, as well as interference from neighbors on the same channels.

0 Kudos
SiriuslySirius
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks. I totally get it. We’re on our own 5Ghz channels and it *almost* line of sight less than 30ft away. It’s gotta be some dissonance with the router and Roku. 

0 Kudos
SiriuslySirius
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Agreed. There’s something wonky with the app and our Wi-Fi. It’s not my Wi-Fi. 

0 Kudos
SiriuslySirius
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

We literally just upgraded to the same series TCL. I’ll keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks!

0 Kudos