Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

Turn on Background App Refresh for the Roku app on your phone. 

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My private listing (to phone app) works well when playing videos from a USB device but has the dropouts and out of sync problems others mention when streaming video over wifi, either from the internet or from a local source like Plex.   I assume the streaming app is loading the content in bursts which overload the wifi and conflict with the audio transmission.  Would a better wifi router be likely to help or does it need an ethernet connection?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I’ve been experiencing the same problems and found that unplugging the tv then plugging it back in, resolved my private listening issues. Hopefully, they stay resolved. 

0 Kudos
BrandonBob
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Private listening is now working on my Samsung Galaxy S10.  Go to settings/apps and select Roku then permissions.  Set Location to Deny Always.  Bingo!  No more disconnects every 5 seconds.

0 Kudos
CompuPaul
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Glad turning off location permission worked for you. Sadly that still hasn't solved this problem on my Chromebook. Man Frustrated

0 Kudos
pntharp
Reel Rookie

Re: Private listening not working

Jump to solution

I am attempting to use the private listening feature of the Roku app on Android. Most of the time, the audio stutters on my phone, even without headphones connected to my phone. Once in a while, I get a solid connection and the audio is clear. I have gone through the steps in the support docs with no luck. Is there anything else I can try? 

0 Kudos
seekandfind
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have had this problem for over a year and a half.  I get sound from the roku app through  my headphone or through bluetooth for 4 or 5 seconds and it drops.

I have DONE ALL. I am so exasperated.  I have changed settings on my phone, powered off roku, unplugged, reset everything.

I have searched the internet for hours on end. I can't find a fix. 

Can anyone help please?

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The audio going to the phone app goes over your home wifi, and will depend on the quality of the signal and contention with other devices or your neighbors on the same channel.  If you are streaming the content to the roku over wifi at the same time you will need even more available bandwidth.

0 Kudos
SiriuslySirius
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah yeah. @lesmikesell These are the first things that I double-checked. The Roku TV has an unimpeded signal, I’m using a Wi-Fi signal that isn’t used by any households around me, and I have more than enough bandwidth. It’s a Roku issue that they refuse to address. 

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

And yet it works for other people. There are other devices that work in the same frequency ranges that might kick you off (microwaves, some wireless telephone sets, etc.).

0 Kudos