Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stratomoose
Reel Rookie

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

I started having this issue tonight after having used this feature without any problems for weeks with my Samsung S7 and Samsung bluetooth earbuds.  I tried several suggested solutions to no avail.  However earlier tonight I closed the Roku app while the private listening was engaged and the sound continued coming through my earbuds and the drop outs stopped.  At least I got to finish the movie, but had to use the Roku's remote instead of the app's controls.   This suggests to me the problem is with the app itself and not the wifi or bluetooth signals or devices.   

Stratomoose
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

PS I opened the app again and the drop outs resumed

0 Kudos
Craigavery100
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Guys, I searched for hours on a solution for this and never found it. The good news is I solved it on my own. It was the notifications in the Roku App. Ensure they are completely turned off. This was so frustrating, but once I shut those off, I had no interruptions. Like this post if this worked for you so that others can fix this issue. Hard to believe I couldn’t find this solution on the web. 

cheers. 

guitarboy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Turning notifications off worked for me!  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Galaxy S20+ / Roku Ultra

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting - watch for VPN interference

Jump to solution

Watch for VPN interfering with Private Listening.  I have a Android 12 phone that would connect to Private Viewing for about 3 seconds and then revert to the speaker.  Problem was consistent with two different Roku Sticks. 

The cause turned out to be the NetGuard app (network app to control network access).  Even though the Roku app was allowed to access both LAN and cell data, Private Listening would connect and then disconnect every time.

Turning NetGuard off solved my problem.  FYI...

(Note: 6/20/22 - Updating the Roku app to the latest (version 8.3.0.1044963) also fixed my problem.  With the new version Roku app, Private Listening now works with NetGuard operating...)

6/21/22 - It seems that any VPN-based DNS or firewall app will stop Private Listening from working.  Tried NetGuard and RethinkDNS - same result.  With firewall active, Private Listening connects and drops a few seconds later.  Turn off firewall and Private Listening works fine...

Cellcubed
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Craigavery100 wrote:

Guys, I searched for hours on a solution for this and never found it. The good news is I solved it on my own. It was the notifications in the Roku App. Ensure they are completely turned off. This was so frustrating, but once I shut those off, I had no interruptions. Like this post if this worked for you so that others can fix this issue. Hard to believe I couldn’t find this solution on the web. 

cheers. 

I can't believe after all these years this is the only thing that seems to have worked! Thank you so much for posting this!

kakarious
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Turning the notifications off doesn’t fix anything.

Craigavery100
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You must have an Apple Watch then. Make sure you turn those notifications off completely. When you are done exercising you can turn them back on. My guess is your private listening disconnects at each mile or when you close your Apple Watch goals. Any alert on your activity app will cause an issue  

problem solved

0 Kudos
kakarious
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Nope, no Apple Watch. Just an iPhone. Roku app inexplicably does one of two things: first, it drops audio while in privately listening mode but the app stays "connected" to the Roku+, whether I'm using wired headphones or bluetooth. Second variation, the sound cuts out and the app disconnects from the Roku+ completely and cannot find it. Physically powering off the Roku usually fixes this, but that's annoying to do a few times a week. Some days it works fine. Other days I can't get it work for the life of me. These should not be problems a rigorously tested consumer product has.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Roku. It's by far the best device in its class. Just disappointing, with this and the battery drain glitch in the remote (the one for which their official solution is to plug the Roku into the wall instead of a USB power outlet on your TV). Sigh.

0 Kudos
ShoNuffHarlem
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Turning off fully notifications for this on andriod worked! Must he some weird bug. Roku you are better than this!