Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neverku
Channel Surfer

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

As a tech person I can appreciate the possibility of WiFi issues, but let’s look at the facts here: on a 5GHZ channel (tv and iPhone on same channel), have no other devices currently running on my network,  sitting 6ft away from router, which sits 1ft away from tv. I’ve gone through 3 iPhones, multiple Roku OS versions, multiple iOS versions, tried all the settings suggested and still the same exact problem with same symptoms. This isn’t a WiFi problem!!!

Roku has probably the worst customer service I’ve ever seen from a tech company and that’s usually indicative of company structure and principles, and as a result quality assurance will always suffer. As paying consumers we have a right to expect some additional guidance other than power down your tv and try again, especially with a considerable number of folks having tried this and all having continued issues. 

After a previous issue with Netflix not playing certain shows and a support ticket that went ignored by Roku, after having me unplug my tv 36 times, then customer support no longer responding I had all the signs needed to NEVER purchase another Roku product again. It wasn’t until I stumbled across an internet posting of secret menu codes and how to disable Dolby 5.1 that it got resolved. 

There are Roku tech folks monitoring this forum and are always willing for customers to DM them with details to give the appearance of service, but never return to the board to offer any conclusions for the community. Wonder why? Nor do any of those board members ever return with the “Hey they fixed my problem” updates, hmmm. 

The ugly truth seems to point to an ok product while it’s working, but poor customer service, quality assurance, and potentially poor research and development. 

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Neverku wrote:

As a tech person I can appreciate the possibility of WiFi issues, but let’s look at the facts here: on a 5GHZ channel (tv and iPhone on same channel), have no other devices currently running on my network,  sitting 6ft away from router, which sits 1ft away from tv. I’ve gone through 3 iPhones, multiple Roku OS versions, multiple iOS versions, tried all the settings suggested and still the same exact problem with same symptoms. This isn’t a WiFi problem!!!

Mine improved significantly by using a wifi analyzer app to move my wifi channels to ones with less interference from the neighbors and putting the TV on 5Ghz and the phone on 2.4.   Everyone's wifi setup (and neighbors) will be different but keep in mind that the radios are half duplex and unless you have the newest MIMO router it is going to be pretty busy sending the content to the TV so there will be contention receiving the audio stream back and sending to the phone.    If your TV is near the router, I'd recommend running an ethernet wire over to it.

Neverku
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestions, but one thing to point out. In this age of technology the fact that you had to do all of that for an app that sends audio to headphones in order for it to work is an abject failure of technology by Roku.

Most folks don’t have the technical acumen to go through these steps, so it’s a matter of time before the non-tech consumer finds another solution. Never mind the less than acceptable customer service. All of this points to a poorly run company and product. 

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Ethernet isn't all that technical.  Plug a wire in - it works.   And the newest wifi routers that are built to transmit to multiple devices at once (MIMO) probably take care of it too, without splitting bands.

But - there's really no excuse for the device not offering normal bluetooth connections too.

Cajunlimey
Reel Rookie

Re: Private listening not working

Jump to solution

Same issue. Our last roku was a little older but the private listening was never a problem through the app. Then one day there was an update to the app and it stopped working. We just bought a new streaming stick+. We've had it for a week. I was hoping maybe the issues with the private listening were because we had the older one for a few years but nope....4 devices and none of them will work for private listening. Ive even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app on them. 

And NO im not buying a new remote for my brand new roku. I shouldn't need to. The app needs to be fixed.

ballast

Private Listening Keeps Stopping; Tried All Relevant Prior Suggestions

Jump to solution

Before I begin, I should mention that I have tried everything possible in the standard list of suggestions. If it's on the first page of Google results or in an official Roku support guide, I have tried it, and it has done nothing.

The problem: when using Private Listening via the Roku app, private listening works for a few moments (usually around a minute, sometimes longer), then stops, forcing things back to playing sound through the TV speakers. I can stop that if I keep my phone screen on, but that's obviously not a solution.

I have tried doing everything I can to make my phone (Moto G6) keep the app fully on while the screen is off. It has not worked.

I have tried rebooting everything you can think of. It has not worked. My WiFi connection is fine.

How can I force Roku to stay in Private Listening? It has a heck of a hair trigger, and whatever is making it drop out of private listening, I want it to ignore. Constantly having to unlock my phone, rewind, get a few moments in, unlock my phone, rewind... is miserable and it needs a proper fix.

jordansmom
Channel Surfer

My iphone Roku app remote keeps dropping private listening. How can I fix this?

Jump to solution

I'm stumped. My Roku app on the iphone will not hold private listening sessions. It keeps dropping it and I have to wait several minutes for it to pick it back up. What is happening? The app is auto updated, so that's not the issue. 

Cajunlimey
Reel Rookie

Re: My iphone Roku app remote keeps dropping private listening. How can I fix this?

Jump to solution

@jordansmom wrote:

I'm stumped. My Roku app on the iphone will not hold private listening sessions. It keeps dropping it and I have to wait several minutes for it to pick it back up. What is happening? The app is auto updated, so that's not the issue. 

The updated app is likely the problem. It use to work fine. Then the app updated one day and its never worked since

Smilemz

Jump to solution

@Mmercedeez wrote:

Same issue, iPhone XR and my instant fix was to turn off the cellular data for the Roku app. Idk why but it works just fine now. 

This worked for me. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DianneB

YouTube Tv keeps disconnecting from private listening on iPhone Roku App

Jump to solution

I am using the Roku mobile App on an iPhone 12 Pro Max.  Private listening is not longer stable or doesn’t work at all for YouTube Tv. Private listening works fine with Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, etc... there just seems to be an issue with YouTube Tv.  It used to work fine but has recently stopped working. 
Any suggestions?