Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CompuPaul
Binge Watcher

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

My Roku is hard wired 100 Mb connection. Phone (Android) and Chromebook (running the Android app) are on 2.4GHz sitting beside each other (house, fair distance to neighbors). Phone always works great. Chromebook was working great, but suddenly started always disconnecting after 3 seconds, after an app update. So at least in my case, fairly conclusive it is an app problem with the Chromebook.

0 Kudos
SiriuslySirius
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here’s ANOTHER issue y’all: watching YouTube through the TV’s YouTube app, private listening drops every time a new video plays. This is NOT a Wi-Fi issue. It’s a Roku issue. Roku, please, for the love of God, fix private listening. It’s my favorite feature that your OS provides!

CallieD
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I did't realize my iPhone/Roku app was connected to the non-5G network (while my Roku player was connected to the 5G network). Switching my iPhone wifi connection to 5G immediately solved the patchy audio issues. 

Thanks RokuTannerD! 

0 Kudos
davleestev
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This problem inexplicably happened to me last night for the first time. Roku has an annoying habit of automatically signing you out of apps. I went into Showtime now and had to sign back in. Once done  the audio refused to connect using android phone or tablet after working just fine. I googled, came here, got frustrated with people suggesting all types of technical bull**bleep** and decided, as always to be patient, diligent, and trust myself to find a solution. I restarted,  checked for updates,  checked other settings and realized I hadn't checked audio for a different app. I went onto another app,  the audio icon for private listening connected and stayed connected for Showtime also. No other problem since. Everyone's solution is not yours. Be patient,  tinker around and you'll fix the problem on your own through trial and error. 

0 Kudos
Mmercedeez

Jump to solution

Same issue, iPhone XR and my instant fix was to turn off the cellular data for the Roku app. Idk why but it works just fine now. 

Moccassin20
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Been having this issue and reported it on couple different threads.  Just noticed that it started happening after switching from Roku to streaming Amazon music on phone and then back.  So there is something happening there with your cache that doesn't happen on other streaming services through Android.  Hope this helps

0 Kudos
SiriuslySirius
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That must be it. It happens when I’m watching YouTube. After each video I have to disable and reenable private listening. 

0 Kudos
roraaa11

Jump to solution

This frustrates me so much. It disconnects ALL THE TIME. It's basically useless to me now. 

Moccassin20
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ok Roku, I'm finally coming out of the period of any expectations for personalized customer service and am trying to use these "Community" forums.  I would think at the very least, you could employ at least one individual to monitor and look at these threads, respond to them, AND GET THE PROBLEM FIXED AFTER A YEAR! Let me give an example of how out of touch your engineering/customer service department is to the real world. In your one Setup and Troubleshooting article "How do I solve problems with private listening?" at https://support.roku.com/article/217479488 it says "While using private listening, make sure no other devices on the wireless network are downloading or streaming music or video." HOW UNREALISTIC THIS IS! There are 3 people in my household, 2 gamers, and probably upwards to 15 devices connected at any one time, all sorts of streaming going on, video, audio.  Out of all these devices, apps, all the audio, all the different kinds of headsets, mostly bluetooth, this is the only one that has any issues.  Hello?  Is there a human Roku employee here anywhere?  Disgruntled "modern" user trying to use a community forum to get a tech issue resolved for a year.

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The app works if you have good wifi connections.  No one else is going to fix that for you.  If you are also streaming the content to the roku you automatically have some contention that you might fix by adding an ethernet connection.   In my case it helped to put the TV on the 5Ghz band and my phone on the 2.4Ghz side but that might depend on what is is competing for bandwidth or whether your router has mu-mimo technology.

0 Kudos