Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Niko737
Reel Rookie

Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Premiere and I am having trouble with the private listening feature through the Roku app. I am playing a video from my phone and casting it to my tv through the Roku app and I am trying to use the private listening feature by connecting my headphones through my phone. It works for a few minutes and then it disconnects and begins playing the sound through the tv. I keep trying but it does the same thing. It'll play for a few minutes and then disconnect again. I've reset my Roku by disconnecting power and reconnecting, I've tried multiple headphones, I reset the router, I even tried two different phones. It's frustrating when one of the features I bought this Roku for doesn't even work right. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craigavery100
Reel Rookie

Re: Private Listening keeps disconnecting

Jump to solution

Guys, I searched for hours on a solution for this and never found it. The good news is I solved it on my own. It was the notifications in the Roku App. Ensure they are completely turned off. This was so frustrating, but once I shut those off, I had no interruptions. Like this post if this worked for you so that others can fix this issue. Hard to believe I couldn’t find this solution on the web. 

cheers. 

View solution in original post

117 REPLIES 117
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Niko737 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps on our Support page here: How do I solve problems with private listening?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Niko737
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I read all the troubleshooting tips and followed all the instructions I could find as I explained in my post. The problem I am having isn't addressed in that post or any other one I read. I'm still having the same issue. That is why I decided to make my own post. 

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Niko737  Thanks for the note.

Is this an Android or iOS mobile device?

Does this occur on your mobile device when the screen is locked, or your phone goes into standby? If so, you'll want to look into your phone's power management or security settings to disable any feature that may be interrupting the app's ability to communicate when the screen is turned off, etc. 

Keep us posted from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
PShah

Jump to solution

Hey there! I am having the same issue, i have the iPhone XS!  

CompuPaul
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am also started having the same problem a few months ago (worked fine until then).  Roku Ultra, Android Roku app installed, latest updates installed from the Play Store.  It will play the audio for less than 1 second and then returns audio to the TV. 

It works fine with the Roku remote, but I'd rather just plug into the Chromebook with Android app.  No extra device since I'm already on the Chromebook, won't wear down the remote batteries as fast, etc.

To rule out any possible weirdness, I also took the batteries out of the remote, since I read that both the remote and the app won't work simultaneously.  (Shouldn't have anything to do with it since no headphones were plugged into the remote, but weird things occasionally happen.)

0 Kudos
Hankjesus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem. The audio is out of sync then I get a message saying there is a problem with my connection. I have checked my connection and it is fine. The private listening will then turn off and wake up my girlfriend. I have followed all the troubleshooting steps. Still happening. I have used private listening in the past and it has worked just fine. Not sure what going on here. 

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@CompuPaul @Hankjesus Thanks for the note. Wireless interference can lead to the behavior you described. With increased wireless network usage, wireless interference can become more prevalent. There are a couple things you can try: 

- Try rebooting your wireless router and internet modem, along with your Roku device and your mobile phone. Visit Settings>System>System restart to reboot your Roku device.

- To reduce wireless interference, you'll want to try changing the wireless broadcast channel that your router is using. Your ISP or router manufacturer can help you do this. You'll want to choose a wireless broadcast channel that is not in use by other networks around you to reduce interference. 

- If your model of Roku device model supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks (most models other than Express and Premiere (3920/3921) models do), try ensuring that you are connecting both your Roku device and your mobile phone to a 5GHz wireless network. There are a higher number of wireless broadcast channels available on the 5GHz band, which allows your network to help avoid interference more easily. 

You can also see more tips for improving your wireless connection here: https://support.roku.com/article/213122277-tips-for-improving-the-wireless-connection-to-your-roku-s...

Thanks,

Tanner

Nmm347
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having some of the same connection issues. I have two TCL TVs, one a 55” the other a 65”. Private listening on the 65” TV works flawlessly but the 55” continually drops connection between my IPhone and the TV. All three devices are on the same 5g WiFi connection. 

Hankjesus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Unplug the TV from power and plug it back in.  That is the only fix I have found and it did work.