Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lvee
Level 7

Private Listening does not work if I switch to HDMI to listen to cable.

I can use private listening for roku tv. I have my cable tv connected by HDMI cable so I can listen to cable TV (CNBC). Private listening does not allow you to listen to cable tv.  I wish I never bought a ROKU TV. You can buy Roku wireless speakers ($190) or a Roku sound bar ($332). yay (not.)  I also have a LG TV, fully compatible with any bluetooth device.  Roku wants to sell you their periphals. Really stupid.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Private Listening does not work if I switch to HDMI to listen to cable.

@lvee

Thanks for the post.

How are you using private listening with your Roku TV? Are you using a Roku voice remote or the Roku mobile app?

For more information about using private listening with the Roku mobile app, visit our Support page here: How do I use headphones on my mobile device for private listening?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Private Listening does not work if I switch to HDMI to listen to cable.

@lvee the Roku app will only permit private listening when using one of the Roku channels on the TV. You are correct that it does not work for audio connected to an HDMI jack on the TV. I don't know if it's a technical reason, or some decision made, but that is the way it works. 

You might consider wireless headphones that can connect directly to the TV, which would pass all audio from the TV, not just the Roku channels. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos