Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChappyDave
Reel Rookie

Private Listening Not Working Through Bluetooth

I have a Roku Premier 4K device and am using the Roku remote app on an Android phone.

About a week ago, private listening worked just fine through my Bluetooth earpiece, then stopped working. My Bluetooth earpiece is working fine for everything else. If I disconnect the earpiece, "private" listening works just fine through my phone's speaker. It's a specific problem with private listening through a Bluetooth earpiece. Unfortunately, I don't have a wired/corded earpiece to test that option.

The problem is not specific to specific Roku content. It consistently occurs with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube content. I've tried powering down and powering back up my Roku device, TV, phone, and Bluetooth earpiece, but the problem persists.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
WordDr
Reel Rookie

Re: Private Listening Not Working Through Bluetooth

I watched last night without issue. Updated the app today and suddenly everything sounds like it was recorded under water with techno music playing over soundtrack. Not channel specific and only occurs with app based (ios) private listening — Bluetooth and wired earbuds. TCL roku tv. Speaker sound unaffected. Bluetooth headphones through ‘audio out’ connection unaffected. This is an app issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@WordDr

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried removing the app from your mobile device and the reinstalling it to see if you are still experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
WordDr
Reel Rookie

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but issue persists. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ChappyDave @WordDr

Thanks for the posts.

We are not able to reproduce the issue you are experiencing at this time. Have you made sure to press the private listening button on the remote within the Roku mobile app? What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
WordDr
Reel Rookie

Danny,

Yes, the "private listening" was activated.  I have been using the app without issues since I bought my Roku TCL a couple years ago.  This issue started when the app was recently updated.  I have solved the issue by no longer using the app, instead opting to use a Bluetooth transmitter and headphones.  I appreciate your willingness to look into the issue and will try the app again in the future, but for now, I'll continue to use the direct Bluetooth feed.

0 Kudos
serenityrose
Reel Rookie

So is there still no solution to this, then? Cause my app has definitely reproduced this issue and I don't have an alternate way to connect my Bluetooth device to my TV. I've been using my Bluetooth speaker with private listening just fine for weeks until it suddenly stopped working yesterday.

0 Kudos
Scooter99
Reel Rookie

Having the same issues here. It was working about a week ago and now nothing. When I press the headphone button it turns off sound on the tv for about 25 seconds and then it comes back on even thought the headphones appear to be activated still on the app. iOS is updated and app reinstalled. Nothing seems to make it work. Turned off Bluetooth. 

0 Kudos
serenityrose
Reel Rookie

For me, it still plays sound through the TV when I select private listening. The feature just literally doesn't effect anything except how the button on my screen looks. I've also reinstalled the app which did not fix the issue for me either. 

0 Kudos
ChappyDave
Reel Rookie

Just a bit more info:

* The private listening issue with Bluetooth seems to be intermittent. It works fine, sometimes for weeks at a time, then fails.

* Private listening with a wired earpiece works fine, and;

* If I have a wired earpiece plugged into my phone, then turn on my Bluetooth earpiece, it works through my Bluetooth. But then unplugging the wired earbuds cuts off the sound to the Bluetooth earpiece!

This has been a consistent problem, despite replacing my phone (for other reasons), and even purchasing a different Bluetooth earpiece!