Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdgate
Level 7

Phone App Connection Issue

I have a Roku Streaming Stick SN:554627051078 that stopped connecting with my phone app.  I have verified they are both on the same network.  The Roku itself lately has been having connection issues with the network. After rebooting router, the roku, and iPhone, a few times I got it to connect to the network and the phone (both the network and with the iPhone app).  I have the latest software installed.  I had audio drop out issues before this also that seemed to be cascading with more and more occurrences.  The phone app recently stopped working again (1 week after reboot).  I can connect to my other 2 Roku's but not this one.  I tried rebooting the router etc. and connecting manually over IP, and neither fixed it.  I tried a factory reset and it still has not fixed the issue.  I can stream video over netflix etc. from the network but not connect to the phone app.  Any thoughts?  I use this on a tv where I need to use the phone in order to have sound (hooked up to a TV on a life fitness stair stepper with no external audio).  Is it time to replace this Roku?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Phone App Connection Issue

"jdgate" wrote:
I have a Roku Streaming Stick SN:554627051078 that stopped connecting with my phone app.  I have verified they are both on the same network.  The Roku itself lately has been having connection issues with the network. After rebooting router, the roku, and iPhone, a few times I got it to connect to the network and the phone (both the network and with the iPhone app).  I have the latest software installed.  I had audio drop out issues before this also that seemed to be cascading with more and more occurrences.  The phone app recently stopped working again (1 week after reboot).  I can connect to my other 2 Roku's but not this one.  I tried rebooting the router etc. and connecting manually over IP, and neither fixed it.  I tried a factory reset and it still has not fixed the issue.  I can stream video over netflix etc. from the network but not connect to the phone app.  Any thoughts?  I use this on a tv where I need to use the phone in order to have sound (hooked up to a TV on a life fitness stair stepper with no external audio).  Is it time to replace this Roku?

What's the model number of the Roku Stick?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"jdgate" wrote:

I seem to recall there being some issues with the Roku app recently, although I don't recall if it was iOS, Android, or both. Is your app up to date? And, as asked previously, the model number of your Stick will help determine if it's time to upgrade.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jdgate
Level 7

It’s a Roku stick 3600x running Software 8.1.0 and build 4145. I am running the latest iPhone app version (released today). However the stick shows it to be greyed out anytime I try to connect. I can use the remote to control it, just not the phone app.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jdgate" wrote:
It’s a Roku stick 3600x running Software 8.1.0 and build 4145.  I am running the latest iPhone app version (released today).  However the stick shows it to be greyed out anytime I try to connect.  I can use the remote to control it, just not the phone app.

Verify both your iPhone and Stick are on the same network. Many networks will have both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network with similar names, as well as a "guest" network. If your phone happens to switch to one of the other networks because it thinks it's a better connection or other reason, you'll get the very thing you're describing.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jdgate
Level 7

Verified it multiple times. No guest network, it’s on the same network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jdgate" wrote:
It’s a Roku stick 3600x running Software 8.1.0 and build 4145.  I am running the latest iPhone app version (released today).  However the stick shows it to be greyed out anytime I try to connect.  I can use the remote to control it, just not the phone app.

"jdgate" wrote:
Verified it multiple times.  No guest network,  it’s on the same network.

I'm running the Roku app (version 4.2.18) on my iPhone (iOS 12.1) and am able to connect to my Roku Stick (model 3600) that's running firmware 8.1.0 build 4145-24.

To be clear, the iOS app was connected to my Ultra, and I switched it to the Stick via Settings > Switch Roku Device. I am logged in to the same account on my phone (bottom of the Settings screen on the iOS app) to which the Roku devices are registered and logged in.

One other thing, when you click Switch Roku Device, how many devices show up? Do you see a full screen of devices, or just three (the two to which you can connect and the problem Stick)?

Oh, and one more one more thing. Have you tried removing the iOS app, then reinstalling it? That should allow all data to be cleared from the app, if it's a data corruption issue of some kind.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

That model Stick is the previous model, but as indicated, should be working with your setup, as it's similar to what is posted above. I would not think you'd need to replace the device.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jdgate
Level 7

I see all three devices when I go to switch device, it’s just the stick that either shows up as grayed out or sometimes not at all. Everything in my router control software shows it’s on the same network and the screen verified on the Roku verified it also. I have rebooted router, phone, Roku, factory reset Roku, deleted and reinstalled the Roku app, tried using a different I device to control it, verified it’s on the same network, attempted to connect manually, used all of these combinations in different patterns, and can still connect to my other Rokus. Like I said earlier it’s been having connectivity issues that seemed to be cascading for the worse. I agree it should work as set up. My guess is that it finally bit the “connectivity” bucket. Guess it’s time for a new one.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"jdgate" wrote:
I see all three devices when I go to switch device, it’s just the stick that either shows up as grayed out or sometimes not at all.  Everything in my router control software shows it’s on the same network and the screen verified on the Roku verified it also.  I have rebooted router, phone, Roku, factory reset Roku, deleted and reinstalled the Roku app, tried using a different I device to control it, verified it’s on the same network, attempted to connect manually, used all of these combinations in different patterns, and can still connect to my other Rokus.  Like I said earlier it’s been having connectivity issues that seemed to be cascading for the worse. I agree it should work as set up.  My guess is that it finally bit the “connectivity” bucket. Guess it’s time for a new one.

One thing that hasn’t been tried: move the Stick to another location. Swap it and another Roku. Or temporarily run the Stick from another TV. That would rule out some external factor preventing the Stick from connecting properly.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos