Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

No tv off button for mobile remote app?

Cant seem where to turn off my TV with roku mobile app. Had a roku smart tv and the app let me turn on and off the tv. Now I got a new tv with the roku express+. Is it because I no longer have a roku tv that I cant turn it off an on with the app or am i just missing it somewhere.

Labels (1)
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No tv off button for mobile remote app?

There is no off switch in the app. You can actually use voice command to “power off.” It recognizes the command, but nothing happens. Unless it’s a bug, I assume there is some sort of hardware limitation in the Express+. I’m not sure about the other models, though. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Just replaced stick with Express+ but now phone app has no tv on/off button or voice command/microphone. Is this standard?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

On the iOS app, there is a microphone button, but it's in the upper right corner of the screen, not where it in on the remote control. I'm not sure about the Android version. Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for responding. Don't you think this defeats the function of the remote app?

Just wondering why the features are eliminated from Express+. I'll just use my big tv remote for the time being

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Well, the remote app has a number of features not available with the physical remote alone. It has the ability to call up a full keyboard, which is waaaay better than using the arrow keys on the physical remote to type in a search. The app also allows you to edit your home screen and add and remove channels, as well as broadcast video or music from the phone to the Roku.

I need to clarify my earlier comment. They didn't strip the "off function" from the Express+. The Express+ can't turn off the TV because there is an infra-red signal that goes from the physical remote to the TV, in place of the factory TV remote. The app can't do that because telephones don't have infra-red emitters like remotes (the app runs through the house WiFi). In addition, the power from the TV doesn't go through the Roku Express+, so there's no "kill switch" like there is with a cable box or other home entertainment device. I'm not sure if HMDI can send an off command to a TV. In general, I haven't noticed any features missing from the Express+, other than it doesn't send 4K, which I don't have anyway. It's definitely a lot faster than my Roku 3.

Highlighted
Level 7

I jus tell my romote turn off tv and it does in voice command section

0 Kudos