Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile remote app doesn't detect my Roku tvs

I have Roku tvs. I can not use the mobile app remote without resetting my internet information on the tvs each time. 

The remote keeps saying "device not found" otherwise 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
eyeno
Channel Surfer

Re: Mobile remote app doesn't detect my Roku tvs

Just my 2 cents

In my situation tried manually connecting with no success. Read hints and tips on connection problems with App.  Disabled my VPN which I know some Sites and Apps won't work or connect. Now, discovers device immediately.

0 Kudos
2fuzzycats
Reel Rookie

What do you mean by disconnecting your VPN?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @2fuzzycats,

Welcome to the Roku Community! 

I understand that you want to know how to connect your Roku device to the Roku mobile app.

First, please check that your mobile device and your Roku device are on the same wireless network. If you are unable to get your Roku device to connect to the same network, learn what to try when resolving connectivity issues.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: Why does the Roku mobile app not see my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Many thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
pankajgupta80
Reel Rookie

Hi,

The issue is that the TV is not detected after it is left switched off for some time. This is the case for remote app (Android) as well as cast. Only way to make it detect again is to unplug the TV and plug again.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@pankajgupta80 

Rather than unplugging the TV, try performing a System Restart.

Settings/System/Power/System Restart

----

Should hopefully give you the same results and save you from climbing behind the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
pankajgupta80
Reel Rookie

Thanks for youe response.

I can try system restart of course when TV is on. Is system restart different from switching the tv off and on? Do you hope this would solve the issue where 'cast' stops detecting my tv?

This problem happens only after I leave my TV plugged in but switched off for longer (may be 30 mins or more, never really tried to find exact time).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@pankajgupta80 wrote:

I can try system restart of course when TV is on. Is system restart different from switching the tv off and on? Do you hope this would solve the issue where 'cast' stops detecting my tv?

Depends on if your TV has Quick Start enabled. If it's on, turning the TV "off" really only powers off the screen, but keeps the operating system in a low power state. If Quick Start is disabled, then the TV is truly powered down and does a full boot when turned on. However, even in that case there's still a small bit of the OS still running, so it can respond to the remote's power button. if the TV was completely powered off, there would be no way to turn it on with a remote control. But more than likely the network connection is being powered off under this scenario, so there's no way to use the app in that case. I do know that I can control my Sharp Roku TV with the app even if it's turned off, so it must have Quick Start enabled. 

System Restart always does a complete reboot of the TV, and will naturally enable the network connection once it's booted up. I would assume the TV would be visible for casting for the same reason.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos