Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
beq
Level 8

Mobile app private listening removed from Roku 3/4, remote headphone jack disabled for Stick?

I remember that the Roku iPhone app had allowed private listening with our Roku 3/4's, so we could use our Bluetooth headphones in addition to wired headphones.  But it no longer works.

According to this PDF chart, private listening via the mobile app now only works with the Streaming Stick, Roku TV's, and the new Express/Premiere/Ultra boxes.

When and why was this feature removed for the Roku 2/3/4 boxes?  Was it with firmware 7.5?  Is it a technical or business/marketing issue?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
beq
Level 8

Re: Was mobile app private listening removed from Roku 2/3/4?

Seems that this issue was brought up last November:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=97199

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=97144

Back then users mentioned that the headphone icon on the mobile app still showed up when using the Roku 2/3, but the actual sound was distorted and then had cut out.  Now, the headphone icon doesn't even show up on the mobile app when using the older boxes.  But again, private listening via the mobile app used to work just fine with these boxes (unless my memory's really faulty)...
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Conversely:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96218

Seems Wi-Fi Direct compatible models like the Streaming Stick can no longer be upgraded to a Roku remote with headphone jack, as the remote jack private listening no longer works.
0 Kudos
jinj
Level 7

Has it been removed from the app for Android?

I have these and now it only works on the 4630. I'm sure it worked on the 4230, unless I'm going crazy.

Roku 2 (4210)
Roku 3 (4230)
Roku Premiere+ (4630) 
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

I don't think we're all crazy... Smiley Happy

Just wondering why useful functionality was taken away.

On Roku 3 and 4, mobile app private listening (both Android/iOS) has been disabled as an alternative to the wired headphone jack on the remote control -- that means we can no longer easily use Bluetooth headphones.

Conversely on the Streaming Stick, use of the headphone jack (when upgrading remote control) has been disabled as an alternative to mobile app private listening -- unfortunate because the mobile app is not as reliable for some users.

[I'm not sure about the Roku 2, it may have lost one or both private listening methods?]

The point is that all these Roku players used to have both private listening methods to choose from...
0 Kudos
SGV_A5
Level 7

Re: Mobile app private listening removed from Roku 3/4, remote headphone jack disabled for Stick?

I gave my streaming stick to my parents and I just tried to use this feature for my Roku 3 with my bluetooth headset and noticed it was taken away! OMG Roku...please bring this back!!! I cannot go back to plugging a wired headset in my phone or remote just for private listening! Thanks!
0 Kudos
Object52
Level 7

Re: Mobile app private listening removed from Roku 3/4, remote headphone jack disabled for Stick?

Well, this is sad. I went to go use a feature that roku used to have and it has been discontinued... private listening from the app on a roku 3 has worked just fine in the past... why did you pull it? It's even more lame that they preted like it was never supported. The only reason I'm sticking with roku is because of Amazon Video not working on Apple TV. That's going to change in a month. I really wish Roku would innovative their solution by providing colorful backgrounds and stop ditching features that help the customer experience. This is how blockbuster went out of business.
0 Kudos
spinz619
Level 7

We should sue roku because if we are paying lot of money for a device that roku keep disableling features that comes with its pretty fucked up I'm trying to find the codes so I can get ROKU system wiped out and install android or Linux something has to be done I OWN a roku 3 that's previously the private mode stop working i did try my best to fix it and there is lots of bugs and glitches in roku firmware they haven't noticed for the remote OTA update they are testing updates they are worse than Apple devices ROKU needs to improve lots of features or other than that's I hope they collapsed out of business
0 Kudos
Dark_Penguin
Level 7

"beq" wrote:

I think it was done for a "business" reason, namely to pressure us into buying newer boxes.
I too find this aggravating.  So now the only way I can use headphones is via the remote, dependent on non-rechargable drugstore batteries that have to be replaced when they wear out.  And I don't know what frequent and/or protracted listening through the remote will do to the life of those things.   I don't want to find one day that my remote doesn't work because I used up all the juice listening through my headphones.  For me personally that's not an issue because I'm comfortable using the mobile app (obviously) for remote control purposes.  But my wife keeps her phone turned off most of the time.
0 Kudos
Chris109
Level 7

"Dark Penguin" wrote:
"beq" wrote:

I think it was done for a "business" reason, namely to pressure us into buying newer boxes.
I too find this aggravating.  So now the only way I can use headphones is via the remote, dependent on non-rechargable drugstore batteries that have to be replaced when they wear out.  And I don't know what frequent and/or protracted listening through the remote will do to the life of those things.   I don't want to find one day that my remote doesn't work because I used up all the juice listening through my headphones.  For me personally that's not an issue because I'm comfortable using the mobile app (obviously) for remote control purposes.  But my wife keeps her phone turned off most of the time.

I bought rechargeable batteries.  Use headphones for sleep.  Last about 2 weeks.  Harbor Freight has some with a charger.  Saves $$ in the long run.
0 Kudos