Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alizona
Level 7

Mobile app for Android

Being that my Roku phase has been on the wane for a while, I haven't been following new developments too closely. I did, however, come across a blurb about how a new feature of the mobile app/remote could now send video as well as photos and music from Android to Roku using the Play On Roku thingy.

From Roku.com: Send video, music, and photos to your TV, and Easily share photos, videos, and music from your compatible smartphone or tablet right to your TV. I did click on the "See supported devices" link but I forgot that legacy device users don't count.

Alas, in the app, it still only shows the photo and music folders. My hunch is that it's either an, a) phone limitation (Jelly Bean 4.1.2) or a, b) Roku limitation (the venerable yet much maligned 2xs, and an underutilized R1 2700r. The retired 2000c rests in a prominate place of respect sealed in a glass case). Outside possibility it's a, c) personal limitation in that I didn't set it up correctly but it didn't appear to indicate any setup was necessary and none was located.

Vote now. a, b, c or none of the above. Operators are standing by. Thanks for reading.

Update: Looks as though it was c. Partially, maybe. I didn't read the fine print, as they say. Down the page under Notes it says, Only video taken with your mobile device is supported. Really? Not quite as big a deal as the bullet points would have you believe, is it? Although a perfect example of what put me on the wane.

And because of the fact that no Video folder shows up as a Play On selection (I have no music files on my phone and the Music folder, empty, shows in the app) it's still unclear whether my devices (phone or Roku) are compatible. If needed, I'll just transfer the files and use the USB port on the 2XS or the USB port on my TV like I always have.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Mobile app for Android

I just checked the app on my Samsung S8 (Android 7.0), and videos are available for streaming as well. I'm currently connected to my Insignia Roku TV, which is a small 720p set. I switched to my Roku 4 and it was still there. My 2 XS is buried in a drawer, so can't test that one. But you're probably right, it's either the version of Android you're running or the 2 XS doesn't support Play On./
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
alizona
Level 7

Thanks for checking that out. One question: Are the videos you see available for streaming ones you downloaded off the internet and saved to your phone or videos you made yourself with the phone's camera. That "Notes" citation from Roku.com indicates only self shot videos can be streamed. Although it lists the compatible formats, one of which is Mp4, not sure how it could distinguish a self shot Mp4 from a downloaded Mp4.

P.S. Oh, my god. Keep your slicker and galoshes handy. Curious, I just checked the weather up there. 50 degrees as a high and rain pretty much all day every day for the next two weeks. At the opposite end of the coast (between San Diego and L.A.) it's 65 right now and everybody's freezing and wondering when this horrible winter will end.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Actually is was partly to mostly sunny today, with a high of about 50. Pretty nice for a January.
Yes, the only two videos I have on my phone to test with are videos I shot with the phone. I've never tried anything else, and don't have anything available that I could try. I'm not sure I have enough memory on the phone to copy over one of my DVD rips, and I know I don't have room for a Blu Ray rip. I would be curious to see if I could stream an MPEG2 video (DVD rip) to a Roku that doesn't support MPEG2, and see if the phone would convert it to MP4/H.264. Unlikely.  Smiley LOL But I do have some recorded TV shows that have been saved as MP4 video. Have to give that a try.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos