Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dvdudley
Level 7

Mobile app cannot detect or recover my device

I accidentally erased my device from the mobile app during setup.  I have tried all of the troubleshooting in the support area to try to recover it, as well as returning my device to factory settings and starting over and uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my iPhone.  The app will no longer detect my device so I cannot use the app at all.  I have also tried manually connecting to the device through the app. I am positive I am on the same network.  Nothing.  Can anyone help me figure this out?  Thank you.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Mobile app cannot detect or recover my device

First check the setting in the Roku menu that controls access by remote devices. On my Ultra it's under Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps. Make sure it's not disabled.

If that's correct, then you have some sort of network issue. Many WiFi access points/routers have settings to either create a guest access service, or to block wireless devices from accessing other network assets. Either one of those would block your phone from seeing the Roku.

So, let's first check your network settings. On the Roku, go to Settings/Network/About. Write down the IP address. Now go to your phone and find out what its IP address is. On the iPhone, it's Settings/WiFi. Click the information icon (letter i in a circle) and see what the IP address is. It must be identical to the Roku IP address, except for the last octet (the last digits of the four segment IP address). For my network, and most home networks as well, the first three octets are 192.168.0, although sometimes the Zero is a One (Linksys likes to be different). 

If the first three octets don't match, we've discovered why they don't see each other, but not the reason. You;ll have to dig into your WiFi settings in the access point/router to see why they are getting different addresses. 

If the numbers do match, then there's likely a security setting that I mentioned earlier that is blocking wireless devices from seeing each other. I can't help you there, as they are labeled so differently by different manufacturers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lpwell
Level 7

So, then if the numbers do not match there is no way that they can connect? I am at an apartment complex that has its own wifi and there is no way that I can get at the information that you you are suggesting that I need to look at. Without that there is no way that the devices will ever connect is that correct? But, I was able to connect when I first set up the mobile app so I am really confused.

@atc98092 wrote:

First check the setting in the Roku menu that controls access by remote devices. On my Ultra it's under Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps. Make sure it's not disabled.

If that's correct, then you have some sort of network issue. Many WiFi access points/routers have settings to either create a guest access service, or to block wireless devices from accessing other network assets. Either one of those would block your phone from seeing the Roku.

So, let's first check your network settings. On the Roku, go to Settings/Network/About. Write down the IP address. Now go to your phone and find out what its IP address is. On the iPhone, it's Settings/WiFi. Click the information icon (letter i in a circle) and see what the IP address is. It must be identical to the Roku IP address, except for the last octet (the last digits of the four segment IP address). For my network, and most home networks as well, the first three octets are 192.168.0, although sometimes the Zero is a One (Linksys likes to be different). 

If the first three octets don't match, we've discovered why they don't see each other, but not the reason. You;ll have to dig into your WiFi settings in the access point/router to see why they are getting different addresses. 

If the numbers do match, then there's likely a security setting that I mentioned earlier that is blocking wireless devices from seeing each other. I can't help you there, as they are labeled so differently by different manufacturers. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@lpwell wrote:

So, then if the numbers do not match there is no way that they can connect? I am at an apartment complex that has its own wifi and there is no way that I can get at the information that you you are suggesting that I need to look at. Without that there is no way that the devices will ever connect is that correct? But, I was able to connect when I first set up the mobile app so I am really confused.

OK, I think you just identified the issue. It's a shared WiFi, and odds are management has the security feature I mentioned to block devices from seeing each other. So no, there's no way you can change those settings. If it worked at first, the building has likely changed their WiFi settings. And honestly, in that environment you want that level of security enabled. Otherwise anyone on the network has the potential of connecting to any of your devices. 

There's one way around it, but it's complicated and I don't recommend it unless you have a good understanding of computers and networking. It requires installing your own router that can connect to the building wireless and then having your own private network under your control. I did this when I was staying long term at a hotel on a job assignment. I set up a Windows computer with a WiFi adapter to connect to the hotel wireless, then used Windows network sharing and plugged a network switch into the Ethernet jack for my wired devices. I used a router as a wireless access point for my own internal WiFi network for my Roku and other wireless devices. Like it said, it's complicated. But that's the only way you can use something like the Roku app if your WiFi is a public network.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos