Roku Mobile App

Help with the Roku Mobile app on Android and iOS, adding channels, using remote control functionality, playing content from The Roku Channel, using Play on Roku, mobile private listening, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Lost my remote... Manually inputting IP address to find my Roku to use my app remote

I previously had my Roku connected to a different WiFi away from home. I’m now home and Lost my remote on vacation. I’m trying to Use my app as a remote but it won’t find my device. It’s telling me to manually put in the IP address for my Roku and I don’t know where to find that. Any help on getting my app to connect to my device so that I can use it as a remote ????

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Level 12

Re: Lost my remote... Manually inputting IP address to find my Roku to use my app remote

No solution! You will have better luck buying an Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick. Good luck!

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Lost my remote... Manually inputting IP address to find my Roku to use my app remote

That literally does not help whatsoever. I’d come out cheaper just buying a new remote but thanks for nothing 

0 Kudos
Level 12

El cheapo = Made in China junk

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Level 19

Sorry, the Roku doesn't have an IP address until it connects to the router and the router issues it one.  And until you get the Roku and the phone connected to the same network, your Roku app on the phone cannot do anything to control the Roku.  So the way to get your Roku connected to your net is to replace your remote and use it to reconfigure your Roku.

There is one possible, but not likely, work around.  If your Roku has not undergone a factory reset it is still trying to connect to the network name (SSID) and password of the last net to which it was connected.  If you know these parameters and can reconfigure your router to use them, then a phone connected to that same net can be used to control the Roku.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Level 12

This issue is not caused by using the remote that came with your Roku.

0 Kudos
Level 12

@makaiguy wrote:

Sorry, the Roku doesn't have an IP address until it connects to the router and the router issues it one.  And until you get the Roku and the phone connected to the same network, your Roku app on the phone cannot do anything to control the Roku.  So the way to get your Roku connected to your net is to replace your remote and use it to reconfigure your Roku.

There is one possible, but not likely, work around.  If your Roku has not undergone a factory reset it is still trying to connect to the network name (SSID) and password of the last net to which it was connected.  If you know these parameters and can reconfigure your router to use them, then a phone connected to that same net can be used to control the Roku.

Then why does he/she think that the issue is caused by included remote?

0 Kudos
Level 12

You have not provided a solution at all. If your Roku is an el cheapo Made in China junk that does not accept any IP addresses, get an Apple TV or Amazon Fire, way more reliable streaming players than Roku.

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Level 19

@Michelle3 wrote:

@makaiguy wrote:

Read the original post again, including the title.  The stated problem is trying to change the wifi connection WITHOUT THE REMOTE because the remote has been lost.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 12

@makaiguy wrote:

@Michelle3 wrote:

@makaiguy wrote:

Read the original post again, including the title.  The stated problem is trying to change the wifi connection WITHOUT THE REMOTE because the remote has been lost.

OK then

~Jordan

0 Kudos